Wedges and Fitting into the set

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went off to the pro shop to try out some different wedges. Tried the Ping S Tour, the Mizuno MP 11 and the Titleist Vokeys...(they didnt stock Clevelands)

Anyways, it was between the Titleist and the Mizuno and the Titleist was edging it for me. There is a problem though, my PW is 46 degrees and I hit it 125 yards, the 50 degree Titleist goes 120 yards with range balls on almost every strike

So, I was going to buy a 50, 54 and a 58, but that wouldnt really work because the 50 and PW hit the same distance. Should I stick to the Mizunos for consistency, or play with the different lofts in Titleist until I get a consistent distance gap?

Also, is it worth trying the wedges on a track man or does it have to be the range?

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not just go with a 52 & 58 setup, do you really need an additional 3 wedges?
It would put a :D on our bob's face if you dropped on eof them!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 52 and 58 could be a good option, I guess then I would get the 58 with a higher bounce for use out of the bunkers and have to stick with the a lower bounce 52 for off the fairways. Does that sound about right?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 52 and 58 could be a good option, I guess then I would get the 58 with a higher bounce for use out of the bunkers and have to stick with the a lower bounce 52 for off the fairways. Does that sound about right?

Thats what I have, but before it was pw 52 56 and am thinking of going back to that and dropping the 58. It is all personal preference and a bit of trial and error.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why not just go with a 52 & 58 setup, do you really need an additional 3 wedges?
It would put a :D on our bob's face if you dropped on eof them!

Thats what Im doing. Went the 4 wedge way and it just over complicated matters.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use Mizuno MP 'R' - 60, 56, 52 and 48. This creates a 20 yard gap between clubs with full swings and the way the soles are ground make them perfect for opening the face and manufacturing excape shots from bad lies. Most shots are made within 120 yards so these clubs along with my putter are what I rely on to give me the best chance of scoring well.