Wedge system

Harold

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, i am getting myself a good set of clubs sorted bit by bit, i am now looking at the wedge system i have a pitching wedge and sand wedge and not sure wether a 52 gap wedge and 60 lob wedge would be the best syatem.
Any thoughts on this?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the best bet would be the Gap Wedge (GW) with a loft that puts the full-distance shot between your SW and PW.

I have a 47 PW and a 56 SW, for me the only way to go is a 51 or 52 GW.

Can't be doing with Lob Wedges....

If I want a 65-70 yard shot, I wouldn't hit a full LW even if it was in my bag.

As I can hit a pitch with a SW straight up anyway (more or less) getting over bunkers and stuff from 10/20/30 yards is possible without a 60* club.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh...b.t.w.

You might need to work out the loft on your PW before making a decision. (either on t'internet or by hand at a pro shop). I had my 46 degree PW de-lofted to 47 to get a nicer distance gap 9-PW-GW-SW.

Sounds mad, but I'd like it another degree (48) really...

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would agree with Dave, I have 52 gap wedge and 56 sand wedge in my bag - I bought a 60 lob wedge but very rarely carry it as:

a) I struggle to get consitancy with it.

and

b) I prefer not to lose one of my longer irons to make room for it, which would create a yardage gap in a different place.

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
I think it can depend on the courses you normally play and your ability.

My home course is short at 6k yards, for me I play 46pw, 50, 54 & 60 because I get a lot of second shots in the 120 yards and in range. I don't miss a 5 wood or rescue club at the top end as I seldom need one.

Also, as I said it can depend on if your any good or not with the longer clubs, lets face it high handicappers often get themselves in more bother with a 3/5 wood off the deck than by playing the percentages with a couple of steady iron shots instead.

Me, I use my 50 & 60 degree clubs a lot, but a 5 wood? well I have never looked in my bag and said, damn if only I had a club for that distance, hell, I bet ten 5 wood shots from me would show a +/- distance spread of 50 yards, almost pointless.