wedge setup

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this has been covered many times but Im looking for some advice about wedges and which loft/bounce I should go for. Im getting some new irons in a week or so and the PW has a loft of 45*.

Should I go as high as 60*? I know you need a consistant gap between wedges and I know it depends on your home course but I'd like something that would cover all bases for when I play other places.

Any advice is welcome and I thank you in advance :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
50 and a 56, standard bounce will be fine. Remember, know your limits, dont get clubs just becuase other people have them. Some Joiners can get by with good old rulers, others need laser guided efforts, same outcome.
If you are just breaking 100, a 60 degree wedge would be as useful as a knob flavoured lolly pop.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
50 and a 56, standard bounce will be fine. Remember, know your limits, dont get clubs just becuase other people have them. Some Joiners can get by with good old rulers, others need laser guided efforts, same outcome.
If you are just breaking 100, a 60 degree wedge would be as useful as a knob flavoured lolly pop.
Thanks for the quick reply brendy.

I was thinking about the same sort of set up. Do you think a 50 and 54 could work. That way when I get a bit better I could add a 58, that way the loft is still consistent. I'd rather have a set up I can adjust to at a later date.

Just a though :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest do you think you will ever need 4 wedges?
you will have your 45 for chip'n'runs, 50 for slightly higher pitches that you need to hold up a little quicker and the 56 for anything requiring loft.
Until you are in single figures (debatable by higher guys) high lobs are not a percentage shot.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it would depend on how well you hit the pw mate. I would have thought maybe a 52 and a 56 or a 50 and 56, i think the extra loft over a 54 would be beneficial from the bunkers.
I agree that a 60 may not be ideal for now, but if you were thinking of 50, 54,58 then you could always get the 58 and use it from the sand.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think 3 wedges is essential these days. i.m.o. the PW has become nothing more than an old 9 iron, not really enough loft, so if you don't have a GW, you are simply left with a SW.
I have a 52 GW which fits nicely in between PW and SW. I use it for almost all shots requiring some loft. Clearly if your PW is down to 45 degrees or something, a 50 might be a good choice. I use the PW and GW for specific full swing distances as well as 1/2 and 3/4 swings, which I know the distance(s) they will then go. Although I have a set distance for full SW, I rarely use it.....I think there come a point of "diminishing returns" as the ball gets higher and higher with full swings of these clubs. So, if I'm 80-85 yards out, I won't hit a SW unless it's over some trouble. A controlled 3/4 swing with the GW is most likely to be...um...more controlled i.e. straighter and more consistent for distance.

I have recently acquired a 60 degree wedge - time will tell if it's usable out of sand, I don't really want to carry 4.

As for bounce, I think it depends on your course, the type of lies and grass etc.

f.w.i.w. my 52 has 8 degrees bounce, my 56 has 10 degrees bounce and my new 60 has 12 degrees bounce. The bounce IS important as it'll help the club glide across the ground beneath the grassy lie (hopefully!) and not dig in.
I wouldn't want a 12 degree bounce on my GW as that would scare the hell out of me off a tight fairway 100 yards from the green.

i.m.o. a 60 is the LAST wedge anyone should add to their bag. Until you can hand-on-heart say you are dropping shots that you might otherwise make (good enough for a 1-putt) then don't bother. I'd never been too bothered about knowing a short pitch over a bunker is clearly going to run long..... (in the event of not be able to open up a SW).....but recently my mind has been considering the possibility of having it as an option....trouble is, at the cost of which club?

I hope that makes sense. :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have 47 pw, 50, 54 and 58. I use the 54 from bunkers. The 58 comes out only if it is the absolute last resort. I would rather not use it. The scope for disaster is too high.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 58 comes out only if it is the absolute last resort. I would rather not use it. The scope for disaster is too high.

Really? I love my wedges, My pw is 47 deg, and I have a 52, 56 and 60. I would use my 56 from the sand, but also use my 60 if I need to get it high and stop quick.
I also use my 60 to get over trouble if i need the ball to stop quicker, but I never feel that it could cause a problem. maybe it is my mindset, I dont know, i thought about going pw, 54,58, but I like the versatillity of the extra wedge.

JT

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have 47 pw, 50, 54 and 58.

Do you use them all for full shots? I haven't experimented with my new 60 for full shots a) I'm still not hitting full shots and b) it goes against my "style" somehow. I guess if I had 65 yards (?) spot on, I might consider it.
Do you carry all 4? and if so, is there a missing club in your bag?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd be inclined to just stick with two extra wedges and learn how to perfect shots with them to be honest.
With your pitching wedge being the loft it is, I would personally go for a 50 degree gap wedge and a 56 degree sand wedge.
If you really need to float a ball up higher than the 56 degree wedge will do "naturally" you can crank it open, open your stance and do a Phil Mickelson.
You'd get a lot more satisfaction from the game knowing that you've got this shot in your armoury and only having the two wedges in your bag would leave some options open for you for additional hybrids/woods etc. as your game, and needs, progress.
I've lost count of the number of times I've played with people who have seriously lofted wedges in their bags, gone to use them and they've either flubbed the ball about 5 feet or bladed it through the back of the green
;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a habit of shanking the 58. (and others too, so not sure why I have picked on the 58).

Some days I love it, some days not. Since I can't tell what sort of day it is going to be til I hit it, best left alone.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm firmly in the 4 wedge camp, 47, 50, 54 & 58. I've dropped the 3 wood from my bag as I find there's very little difference between that and my 5 wood.

It's obviously down to individual choice at the end of the day but my personal preference was to have more options at the "scoring end" of the bag. I've sussed out my yardages with full, and 3/4 shots on each of my wedges and i'm now pretty confident that from 125 yards or less I have a shot available for the job.

As for dabbling with a 60 degree wedge they're just not my cup of tea. I found it offered me very little extra over a 58, oh, and it also gave me a very bad dose of the unmentionables too :D :D :D :D

UP1.

B

birdieman

I also have a 45 deg PW, daft really as that's a 9 iron in old money.
Therefore I have 49, 54 and 60 as well. Tried going without a gap wedge but really needed one for the 100 yarders.
I like a lob wedge and have no trouble hitting them.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
must just be me then. I have a 45 PW and a 47, 54 and 60. (the 47 & 54 are Hogan Apex forged and I wanted the 58 to go with them but couldn't find one)
I love the 60 which is the usual go to for bunkers and close in stuff around greens and especially over bunkers - and especially if I'm short-sided.

the only one that really causes problems chipping and pitching is the 49 but it's great for those 80 - sub-100 yard pitches.

(not that I don't get my share of sh . . . but even then it's more likely the 54 than the 60)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I'm firmly in the 4 wedge camp, 47, 50, 54 & 58. I've dropped the 3 wood from my bag as I find there's very little difference between that and my 5 wood.

It's obviously down to individual choice at the end of the day but my personal preference was to have more options at the "scoring end" of the bag. I've sussed out my yardages with full, and 3/4 shots on each of my wedges and i'm now pretty confident that from 125 yards or less I have a shot available for the job.

As for dabbling with a 60 degree wedge they're just not my cup of tea. I found it offered me very little extra over a 58, oh, and it also gave me a very bad dose of the unmentionables too :D :D :D :D

UP1.

I did the same 7/8 years ago and have played with no 3 wood since (I can't hit one off the deck anyway). Currently have 50/54/58 on top of 46 PW. Swapped cleveland 588 for Ping Tour-W last year and now the ground has firmed up absolutely love them after some doubts over the winter. I use the 54 from sand as it has a little more bounce.

Visit site
I only consider that I have 4 wedges but theoretically have 5! I have 48, 52, 56 and 60. The 48 and 52 vokeys are great for full shots off the fairway. I use the 56 for 60 yards and in - but rarely risk a full shot. I use the 48 for chip and runs around the green and the 60 where I need height. Use either the 60 or 56 in the sand depending on conditions - my 56 has a highish bounce and the 60 has a lowish bounce. I also have another wedge - TM Burner PW - this is 45 I think which I consider to be a 9 iron as the actual 9 iron has a loft of 38 degrees (r7 CGB irons) - therefore needed a club between my 9 iron and 48 degree.

My irons go up to the 6 iron - effectively a 5 iron and I have a 4,3 and 2 hybrids and a driver.

Had a 3 wood - couldn't hit it off the deck very well and was worse off the tee! The 2 hybrid goes further anyway! Got rid of my 5 wood as well as my 3 hybrid was going the same distance.

Works for me.....Any comments?

ps - my first post! So Hi everyone!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you really need to float a ball up higher than the 56 degree wedge will do "naturally" you can crank it open, open your stance and do a Phil Mickelson.

Except Phil plays these shots with a 60 sometimes a 64. :cool: