Wedge fitting

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming you know the lofts you need Is it worth it or is it all hocus pocus?

Got fitted for irons and came out stiff shaft. Think there could potentially be knock on effect to wedges but getting fit for sm6 will likely charge £119 each wedge... can get for £85 now brand new elsewhere so £102 difference for 3 wedges.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same logic as an iron fitting.

Probably worth taking along your lowest loften iron the getting the wedges that give you your required distances.

You might discover that extra percent or so...

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think he means lowest lofted iron. Ie if PW at 47degree get a sm6 then at say 50/52.

I didnt get my sm6's fitted i took a punt and stuck the same shafts as my irons in them and so far seems to give me a nice distance gap between wedge's

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So would you think that would be more beneficial Hendy rather than having them standard wedge Flex(which I'm assuming is fairly stiff anyway)?

I won't know what the gapping difference is until I can test my PW more

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the opportunity for a free custom fit when the Vokey SM5s were introduced. Prior to that I had SM4s which were pretty straight forward but the SM5 specifications were confusing with the different grinds rather than just loft/bounce options. The wedges that were recommended for me were slightly different than those that I thought would be suitable so I would advise getting fitted.
Is it not the case that if you choose to buy the wedges, the cost of the fitting is taken off the cost of the clubs? If so why not get the fitting and buy the wedges from where you say you can get them for £85?

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So would you think that would be more beneficial Hendy rather than having them standard wedge Flex(which I'm assuming is fairly stiff anyway)?

I won't know what the gapping difference is until I can test my PW more

To early for me to put my hand on heart and say yes. But for me in made sense over the last number of years i have been jumping brands and going from 50/54/58 to 52&56. So the few times i have played for me it seems to be working.

One thing i did find the green side shots are a little more tricky with the s300 shafts than the wedge flex s200 but am happy to take that hit and get the same feel on a full 52 as i get on a pw shots into the greens.

Edit but as suggested if not 100% get a fitting if you can.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmm that's kind of swung me the other way to maybe not get customer fit as I swing my full shots on wedges fairly decent... it's the 30-90 yard shots I need to improve really.

Also what bounce and grind options did you go for? I basically have a mix just now to try and suit all Conditions but with it being Scotland( and so wet a lot) I only ever feel comfortable with the 12 degree bounce on my 52 and thin/fat the 48/08 and 52/08 far too much.

The 58 is great for opening the face up on high fast stopping Green side shots which happens a fair amount at my track with elevated greens and over bunkers on tight greens so I'm worried this will be harder with higher bounce

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The grinds i think are not to bad to work out

http://www.vokey.com/nav/wedge-selection.aspx

At the bottom of each says condition and swing type so you can kind of work out what you need based on that if you know your swing well enough.

But a F grind looks to cover most conditions. I got S grind on my 56 and F on my 52.

The 52 for more full shots and 56 used more for around greens and half shots

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest the bottom end of the bag is where most of the shots are played and so it makes sense to get wedges that fit in with your PW and give you a good spread so my PW being 46 I have a 52 and 58 to have six degrees between each wedge. I have a pretty good distance gapping. If you want to get fitted for wedges, plenty of good fitters out there and can give you options on grinds etc. You can make it as in depth or simple as you like

Mcleodc2000

Club Champion
Visit site
Might be worth looking out for one of the Titleist Thursday events near you (even better if it's an outdoor one) where you might be able to try them, without being twisted in to buying anything. Might be enough to get a good idea of what to go for and get some advice (though I've never been to one, and don't know if it's the actual titleist fitters that run them)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Probably a bit far from Glasgow, but spending a few hours with Iain Clarke at ICY Golf will open your eyes on wedge fitting. I'm not the only one on here using his wedges, the others I'm sure will concur, a really good experience with a superb service and worth every minute spent.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Assuming you know the lofts you need Is it worth it or is it all hocus pocus?

Got fitted for irons and came out stiff shaft. Think there could potentially be knock on effect to wedges but getting fit for sm6 will likely charge £119 each wedge... can get for £85 now brand new elsewhere so £102 difference for 3 wedges.

Srixon/Cleveland is canny. With the fitting for whatever at the centre which they charge for, you get a dozen Z-Stars so it works out to be essentially free. Not sure if theres one in Scotland or not.

Think if you go to Titleist themselves at Craigielaw its 60 quid for just wedges and no idea if they throw in any goodies, important thing is to be able to hit shots outside as its all about the turf interaction