wedge advice

dune19670

Medal Winner
Visit site
hi all,
just looking for some advice on what sand wedge to buy.
ive just brought a set of mizuno mx300 irons today 4-pw, so im looking for a nice sand wedge to finish off the new set of irons.
thanks steven

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
All depends on the loft of your pitching wedge or you going for a std 56º SW?

Also what course you play will dictate what bounce you require?

Andy

dune19670

Medal Winner
Visit site
All depends on the loft of your pitching wedge or you going for a std 56º SW?

Also what course you play will dictate what bounce you require?

Andy

i was going for a std 56 deg sand wedge, but now youve brought up the loft of the p/w, i dont know what it is ???

please could you enlighten me as to why the course will dictate the bounce of the club to .
thanks steven

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
According to the Mizuno website the PW is 45 degrees. Depending on what you have in your bag, I'd be looking at a gap wedge of around 52 degrees and either a 56 or 58 sand wedge. The gap between the PW and SW is quite large.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
the loft of your ptcihing wedge is an astonishing 45 degrees !!!!! (10 years ago 48 degrees was normal' 20 years ago it was in teh 50s !). This is an example of why many golfers are hitting the ball longer than ever before -its because your pitching wedge is teh same loft as my 1972 Hogan 8 iron !!

So going 11 degress to your next club (if you go for 56 degrees) is a HUGE gap in what are your real scoring clubs, where you need your loft gaps between clubs to be much smaller.

Suggest a 52 degree gap wedge and a 58 degree sand/lob wedge.

If you go for 58 degrees make sure you get a bounc eangle in double figures so that it does act as a proper sand wedge. You can go for a reduced bounce angle on teh 52, for using off tight lies.

If you cant get Mizuno wedges for a good price (and mizuno wedges are beautiful things), then have a look at MD Norman Drew wedges - can pick them, up for £38 to £45 these days and they too are very very good clubs for the price

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd chuck in two wedges if it were me. I'd recommend a GW with not too much bounce and a SW with a medium bounce. Too much might prove troublesome around the greens (not in the sand) and too little is not so great for bunkers.

dune19670

Medal Winner
Visit site
cheers fellas for the replies,
i do have a 60 deg lob wedge, but thanks to you all, it sounds like a 52 gap wedge and a 58 lob/sand wedge would fit the bill better,
keep the replies coming,
thanks steven

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Most sandwedges are 54 or 56 degrees, but my course has a lot of pot bunkers so i got a 58 degree wedge with 8 degree bounce. I can use this out of the sand and also for chipping flop shots etc.

Were you custom fitted for your irons, as you can also get same fitting for wedges ?