Wearing me grandads medals,should I?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is doing the rounds on facebook along with a picture of a kid in uniform with medals. Think for me it answers the question perfectly

I saw a boy marching, with medals on his chest,
He marched alongside Soldiers, marching six abreast,
He knew it was Remembrance Day, he walked along with pride,
And did his best to keep in step with the soldiers by his side.
And when the march was over, the boy looked rather tired;
A soldier said. "Whose medals son?" to which the boy replied,
"They belong to my Dad, but he didn't come back.
He died out in Afghanistan , up on a Helmand track".
The boy looked rather sad, and a tear came to his eye;
But the soldier said, "Don't worry son, I'll tell you why,"
He said, "Your dad marched with us today, all the bloomin way,
All us soldiers knew he was here, it's like that on Remembrance Day."
The boy looked rather puzzled - he didn't understand
But the soldier went on talking, and started to wave his hand,
"For this great land we live in, there's a price we have to pay,
To keep our Country free, and fly our flag today.
"Yes we all love fun and merriment in this country where we live,
But the price was that some soldier his precious life must give;
For you to go to school, my son, and worship God at will
Somebody had to pay the price, so our soldiers paid the bill.
"Your dad died for us my son, for all things good and true,
And I hope you can understand these words I've said to you".
The boy looked up at the soldier and after a little while,
His face changed expression, and he said with a beautiful smile,
"I know my dad marched here today, this our Remembrance Day,
I know he did, I know he did, all the bloomin way”

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Before reading this thread my reaction would have been no as they aren't yours, as I wasn't aware of the RHS wearing.

Having read it I bow to the superior knowledge of those who have served and say wear them, and to Fragger for advising recording the stories behind them, especially if they are willing to share them. My FiL was one of Her Majesty's Royal Marines and was serving on HMS Rodney when it engaged the Bismarck. Could we get him to tell us about it; could we hell. And I can understand why, but the details are now lost forever.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think throwing away his medals and 'standing at the back' was my fathers [and others] quiet way of pointing out the futility of war.
And I will also add that 'those who disagree' with their actions have no right to argue.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think throwing away his medals and 'standing at the back' was my fathers [and others] quiet way of pointing out the futility of war.
And I will also add that 'those who disagree' with their actions have no right to argue.
I wasn’t disagreeing with your fathers or any serviceman decision to do as they wish with their medals or were they stood. They did their bit and everyone of them should be recognised whether they marched or stood still or witnessed attrocities or served in a rear area, all parts of the Armed Forces are vital to each other.

“Those” in the comment ‘those who disagree’ are the people who are saying family members should not wear the medals.

Wolf

Visit site
Wear them mate with your head held high and a pic of your grandad in your pocket.

I've been to a fair few remembrance parades, services and functions, always wear my medals with pride and when I see someone wearing the medals of a passed loved one on their RHS then it gives me and many other former servicemen and women a reason to chat to people like yourself and find out about people like your grandad the hero's of the past and gives you opportunity to feel the pride of having known the man. These stories are important to others and each and every person that's earn ed those medals deserve a remembering with pride.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wear them, as been said if worn on the right “ those in the know will know” 👍👍👍
I recently acquired my papas , which reminds me that i better look them out

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just a quick update. the branch had its poppy launch last night and I did end up wearing me Grandads medals. Felt chuffed to bits wearing them as well. Daughter bent my ear because I never wore his Albert chain and hunter watch which was his. I usually wear it for a " posh " do. MissisT told me not to wear it so she had her ear bent. The event itself was brilliant. About 150 turned up and a three girl group from the Skegness and Lincoln area sang some wartime songs. It was a proper stonker. They usually sing at 40's events around the country.
Anyway today is parade at Mansfield Rugby club then a quick blast to Mansfield Town FC, back to the rugby club for a free bar. Just trying to imagine a bar full of rugby lads and ex forces guys and ladies on the lash. Me I have young grandson with me so I have to take it steady.
Tomorrow is rememberance show in palace theatre so gonna be a good weekend.
Thanks for all the advice, gotta go playing pirates with kids.