Watch Vs Rangefinder

Which should I purchase: watch or rangefinder?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JustW75

Visit site
Hi I am a golfer of mid to high handicap (22ish). I was wondering if it would be better to purchase a GPS Watch, particularly a Garmin Approach S10; or a Nikon Coolshot 20 GII laser range finder.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I first bought a GPS and then a rangefinder. I use the rangefinder 90% of the time and the GPS now only occasionally. If I had to keep one it would be the rangefinder.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If it's either or....I'd probably go with the watch or handheld GPS.
At a 22 handicap your priority is getting the ball on the green, not going pin hunting.
Generally aim for the middle of the green and, yeah, you may be 20 yards away occasionally but an awful lot of the time you'll be a lot closer..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have both.

If you are playing the same course all the time there is nothing wrong with just having a course planner provided it is up to date.

Ditto to Imurg's comments and at your level of handicap all you really need is middle of the green yardages.

I play the same course the majority of the time the laser may get used about 3 times in a round and the GPS about 8 or so times and there are many rounds where it does not even get turned on in the first place. We have 150 yard posts and 100 yard plates and they are good enough on most holes not to need anything else.

JustW75

Visit site
I have both.

If you are playing the same course all the time there is nothing wrong with just having a course planner provided it is up to date.

Ditto to Imurg's comments and at your level of handicap all you really need is middle of the green yardages.

I play the same course the majority of the time the laser may get used about 3 times in a round and the GPS about 8 or so times and there are many rounds where it does not even get turned on in the first place. We have 150 yard posts and 100 yard plates and they are good enough on most holes not to need anything else.
Agreed on the 100/150 markers but I find myself rather inefficient at judging distances.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have both but the watch is a shotscope I used for tracking shot yardages rather than pins. However, I find I have used it a lot in the winter on my own course when just playing casual golf as a quick check.

Only issue with rangefinders are blind shots.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have both but the watch is a shotscope I used for tracking shot yardages rather than pins. However, I find I have used it a lot in the winter on my own course when just playing casual golf as a quick check.

Only issue with rangefinders are blind shots.
They need half decent light as well.
Slight mist or drizzle and they can struggle to pick up the pin.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed on the 100/150 markers but I find myself rather inefficient at judging distances.

If your shot has gone beyond the pole or marker learn to count your paces as you walk past it to the ball - one step = one yard is a good enough guide in golfing terms.

If you play the same course regularly learn to look at what is around. I know where I play if I am level with a certain tree/bush/bunker that it is an X iron from that point.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re the OP, when I was playing to 18 I used a clip on gps on the bag that have solely front middle and back yardages. It was great and very simple which at that level was all I needed.

As the level of my game progressed and my consistency in ball striking become stronger, I found that playing to specific distances become a big advantage. We have several greens where you are approaching from below the hole and the difference between front and back of the green could be 2 full clubs at which point I went across to a laser.

In my opinion the laser is more versatile but it’s a faff to keep getting out of the bag etc, and in mist and heavy rain it’s not very accurate.

For that reason I’m going to order a watch just for front middle abs back distances during the winter to keep the pace of play moving and keep it simple, but use the laser in the dryer months and especially comps.

I think it’s key to decide what you want from the device, and factor in different courses and which would be most practical for you. I do agree with some of the above that from high teens upwards, a watch could be simpler.

JustW75

Visit site
If your shot has gone beyond the pole or marker learn to count your paces as you walk past it to the ball - one step = one yard is a good enough guide in golfing terms.

If you play the same course regularly learn to look at what is around. I know where I play if I am level with a certain tree/bush/bunker that it is an X iron from that point.
Thanks for the tip!

JustW75

Visit site
Depends on your course
If you can’t see the base of the flag, you don’t know it’s position on the green, on a big green that could be a 2 club difference

I have and use both a gps and a rangefinder.

You’ve still got to play the shot though ?
Quick (stupid) question: Will the rangefinder only 'find' the pin or can one use it for bunkers and other hazards?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'd echo what oddsocks and others have said. If picking one one school of thought is-
Go with a GPS for convenience until the time comes where you feel you are striking accurately enough to benefit from the potentially slightly more accurate laser rangefinder.

I have both but can go several rounds not taking the laser out.

But there isn't a right or wrong answer here - whatever you fancy.
You do pay more for a GPS that includes hazards/penalty areas and a value laser does give you that option as long as you can see them. If you've carved it over the trees onto the next fairway and need to come back over trees then often the GPS wins (flag can't be seen)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
With all due respect, at your handicap a watch will be fine.
There are very few things more amusing on a golf course than watching somebody pull out their rangefinder, declare it's 112 yards exactly to the pin, take 4 or 5 practice swings and then fat it 20 yards....:eek::eek::LOL::LOL::LOL:
With a watch, you can take a quick look without anyone else noticing, and when you arrow one straight at the flag they will think you are a genius.

If you do buy a watch, go for one that shows you lay up distances, distances to doglegs, hazards etc. Very, very useful, especially on a strange course.

Once your handicap comes down and you are hitting the ball consistent distances, sell your watch and buy a rangefinder.

Last edited:

JustW75

Visit site
With all due respect, at your handicap a watch will be fine.
There are very few things more amusing on a golf course than watching somebody pull out their rangefinder, declare it's 112 yards exactly to the pin, take 4 or 5 practice swings and then fat it 20 yards....:eek::eek::LOL::LOL::LOL:
With a watch, you can take a quick look without anyone else noticing, and when you arrow one straight at the flag they will think you are a genius.

If you do buy a watch, go for one that shows you lay up distances, distances to doglegs, hazards etc. Very, very useful, especially on a strange course.

Once your handicap comes down and you are hitting the ball consistent distances, sell your watch and buy a rangefinder.
Thank you so much for this.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it was Palmer or Nicklaus, but whoever it was said that (paraphrasing) if you take your yardage to the middle of the green, and hit it, then you will rarely be more that 15yds long or short - and let's face it, none of us would more that 2 putt from that distance, would we:unsure:

Good advice though methinks, so all you need is distance to centre and you won't go far wrong :whistle:

JustW75

Visit site
Not sure if it was Palmer or Nicklaus, but whoever it was said that (paraphrasing) if you take your yardage to the middle of the green, and hit it, then you will rarely be more that 15yds long or short - and let's face it, none of us would more that 2 putt from that distance, would we:unsure:

Good advice though methinks, so all you need is distance to centre and you won't go far wrong :whistle:
I take it you are advocating the watch as the better purchase?