Watch recommendation

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm in the market for a golf specific watch, but soething I can also use as an every day watch. I've had a galaxy smart watch but didn't really get on with it as there was just too much different stuff on it for what I wanted, so looking for something more golf oriented, with or without some kind of shot tracking. Any recommendations please?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want something relatively basic but with a great battery life then the Garmin S12 is spot on.

If you want something that offers more then I'll leave it to others to suggest something.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Garmin smart watches are not that accurate, I've played next to someone wearing a golf specific Garmin and the difference is staggering. I emailed Garmin about this and the golf watches use 2 satellites to get an accurate fix.
I d avoid Bushnell too, they don't seem to have a strategy for long term course updates.

RichA

Visit site
I'm very happy with my Garmin Venu 2 for golf, fitness tracking and general smartwatch capabilities. I've never had cause to question the accuracy of its gps.
MrsA (non-golfer) also got one to replace her disappointing Galaxy smart watch and loves it.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Stan,

Thank you for the reply.

The Garmin Approach S12 is a GpS golf watch so it is more accurate as compared to the Vivoactive 4s.

They have also got additional satellite to make it more accurate.

Please see the comparison below.

Comparison with the Approach S12

Kind regards,

Ranjita

Garmin Europe

wjemather

Visit site
The Garmin smart watches are not that accurate, I've played next to someone wearing a golf specific Garmin and the difference is staggering. I emailed Garmin about this and the golf watches use 2 satellites to get an accurate fix.
The Garmin Approach S12 is a GpS golf watch so it is more accurate as compared to the Vivoactive 4s.
What exactly is the difference between the two devices, because this statement is nonsense - GPS requires a signal from at least 3 satellites in order to function, and most receivers track several more than that.

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What exactly is the difference between the two devices, because this statement is nonsense - GPS requires a signal from at least 3 satellites in order to function, and most receivers track several more than that.

Take it up with Garmin, it's their statement

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Avoid Bushnell. Their products are fine, but their support for legacy devices is non-existant. My ION2 is now un-updatable, and it's only about 3 years old.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm very happy with my Garmin Venu 2 for golf, fitness tracking and general smartwatch capabilities. I've never had cause to question the accuracy of its gps.
MrsA (non-golfer) also got one to replace her disappointing Galaxy smart watch and loves it.

I have the Venu Sq and would also recommend it.

Previously had a Skycaddie Lynx but the battery will no longer charge.

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
I've just bought a Garmin Fenix as they were being discounted by Amazon on their "Prime" day. It's a bit more than your standard Golf watch but it fits in nicely with the other sports that I do (MTB, cycling, etc) and has a lot of the golf functions that the more expensive Garmin golf watches have - I'm pleased so far and don't see any difference in yardage between it and the Garmin Approach G12 that I've got

RichA

Visit site
Hi Stan,

Thank you for the reply.

Comparison with the Approach S12

Kind regards,

Ranjita

Garmin Europe
From what I've read, I think that's misinformation from someone at a Garmin call centre.
Their Approach range only access GPS satellites. The multi-sport watches have access to Galileo and GLONASS satellites too, so should be more accurate, theoretically. In practice though, the Garmin golf app that all their watches use only actually uses the GPS satellite group. That's the same array of satellites regardless of the watch.
There are Q&As on Garmin forums asking when Galileo and GLONASS will be added to the golf app but the answers, going back several years, always seem to be that it's on the to do list.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Guess it may depend on your budget however if you're looking at a watch that you can use off course as well as on then the Skycaddie LX5C might fit the brief. I have the LX5 (difference is that mine has a black plastic bezel whilst the LX5C has a ceramic one) and it's excellent. Obviously as it's Skycaddie so you have the additional costs of the subscription, £40 per year or £80 for 3 years. That said the watch will do front/middle/back without a subscription.