Was it the head or the shaft

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have always played using cavity back irons with stiff shafts but have been drawn recently to maybe trying some blades.

Guy at the golf club leant me a couple of Snake Eyes blades, 7 & 5 iron but with a regular shaft and I'm hitting these better than any 7 and 5 iron I've owned before.Tried them side by side at the range and no discernable difference in length but the blades are just so much easier to shape and control the ball .

So is it the club head or the shaft ? I've been fitted for irons and always recommended S300 shafts , the M1 driver I was fitted for by TM and GM is a stiff shaft but my Titleist 3 wood is regular, but again fitted for by Titleist rep .

I reckon my swing speed is around 97 mph which puts me just into Stiff. My driver carries 220 in Summer and 7 iron 155

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What you do not say is which make/type of shaft is fitted on each club. Shaft weight alone can make a difference.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have always played using cavity back irons with stiff shafts but have been drawn recently to maybe trying some blades.

Guy at the golf club leant me a couple of Snake Eyes blades, 7 & 5 iron but with a regular shaft and I'm hitting these better than any 7 and 5 iron I've owned before.Tried them side by side at the range and no discernable difference in length but the blades are just so much easier to shape and control the ball .

So is it the club head or the shaft ? I've been fitted for irons and always recommended S300 shafts , the M1 driver I was fitted for by TM and GM is a stiff shaft but my Titleist 3 wood is regular, but again fitted for by Titleist rep .
Sw
I reckon my swing speed is around 97 mph which puts me just into Stiff. My driver carries 220 in Summer and 7 iron 155
I would say the head.
off 5 you must middle most shots so could play with anything.
you say around 97mph have you measured it .?
Is that iron speed or driver ?

Most shafts are not fitted to speed now but to your swing characteristics but it is possible to hit a reg farther than a stiff.
Speed alone is not length generating you must find the sweet spot , you obviously are with the snake eyes.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I say around 97 as have used the data from the Trackman readings from when fitted for the M1.

Have set up a session with our Pro tomorrow to try out some Mizuno's using his flightscope .

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Heads, older style bladed head with none of the modern perimeter weighting etc, easy to shape the ball for a good ball striker, shows up the mis hits for the bad ball striker. Modern blade likely to be somewhere in between.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Swing speed is similar and I use stiff in all my woods/hybrids. Would not dream of using stiff in irons/wedges. Tried it, didn't work. I'm regular with irons and wedges.

Regardless of thought, only trying out a modern set of irons in regular and stiff shaft will answer your question

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Snake Eyes were always pretty underrated heads. From both performance and forgiveness.

From memory, they were marketed through Golfsmiths to fitters. I believe Tom Wishon was associated with the brand, if perhaps not the particular heads.

I played regularly with a guy who picked up a cheap set of SE combos and we were both very impressed!

As for reg vs stiff, I'd suggest you go with what feels best - as long as performance isn't compromised. Rule of thumb is that stiffer will tend to be straighter, softer will go further. It may be that the shafts on the SEs are actually better 'matched' than your 'off-the-shelf' sets. Or maybe just the fact that they are different (and you haven't paid for them yet!) has an effect - it seems to with me!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just re read the OP.

Blades will work the ball better than CBs

The older clubs may also have a different groove design which help to produce more spin (side or back) particularly if your current irons are post (roughly) 2008.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good session with the Pro and I'm on the cusp between reg and stiff for my irons. Of the ones he available to try the True Temper XP95 was the best and KBS Tour 115 a close second. Both were an improvement on dispersion but not any longer than my current DG S300.

As regards to the original question he thought, knowing the Snake Eyes, is was probably the shaft , so looking out for some cheap blades with Reg shafts in ;)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
upsidedown;18289024) said:
As regards to the original question he thought, knowing the Snake Eyes, is was probably the shaft , so looking out for some cheap blades with Reg shafts in ;)

How does a shaft help you work the ball?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really don't know either Nick as I've always thought the blades gave you more ball shaping than CB's . I think what he he was getting at was that my swing is more suited to a reg shaft so it was easier to control the head through impact than I do with a stiffer one ?