Wanted: Cheap driver, regular set-up or even slightly shorter

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brief background - my wife, when she occasionally plays, has been sharing my driver because she prefers it over the Yonex ladies one I got her - and she did genuinely hit it better. However, my new one is lower lofted and won't suit her as well I don't think, and it's not worth keeping my old one in her bag when I could be selling it for a couple of hundred. I have a theory that her swing may be faster than the 'typical' female golfer which is why she didn't like the women's driver - too flexible.

So I was just wondering if anyone's got an old men's driver they're wanting to move on for cheap? Standard 10.5 loft or 11-ish would be good. Regular shaft - if it's an inch or half an inch shorter or anything like that, that would probably work nicely for her. Only looking for very forgiving heads since her HC is around the 40s! Less than 50 quid would be music to my ears.

Cheers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Let me have a rummage at home, hopefully tonight but I'm playing after work and may forget. I think I have a Ping G25 somewhere. Standard length and 10.5 degrees but before you could change so no option to increase loft further. Small dent at the back of the head not visible at address. If I can find it I'll come back to you

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Brief background - my wife, when she occasionally plays, has been sharing my driver because she prefers it over the Yonex ladies one I got her - and she did genuinely hit it better. However, my new one is lower lofted and won't suit her as well I don't think, and it's not worth keeping my old one in her bag when I could be selling it for a couple of hundred. I have a theory that her swing may be faster than the 'typical' female golfer which is why she didn't like the women's driver - too flexible.

So I was just wondering if anyone's got an old men's driver they're wanting to move on for cheap? Standard 10.5 loft or 11-ish would be good. Regular shaft - if it's an inch or half an inch shorter or anything like that, that would probably work nicely for her. Only looking for very forgiving heads since her HC is around the 40s! Less than 50 quid would be music to my ears.

Cheers.
You could try some charity shops, they usually have some clubs knocking around. They wouldn't be the latest model but you would probably get something that would do the job.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might be worth looking for a driver with a senior/light shaft. Good bridge between ladies and regular. That is what my other half uses.
I always wondered which was more flexible out of senior or ladies flex and concluded they'd be quite similar. Have no idea though. You reckon senior is a bit less flex than ladies?

MACM85

Visit site
I always wondered which was more flexible out of senior or ladies flex and concluded they'd be quite similar. Have no idea though. You reckon senior is a bit less flex than ladies?

My other half had a set of regular irons as she swings around 66-70mph with 7 iron. Went for a fitting and ended up with senior flex and a tad lighter in weight for the shafts. Handicap is now down to 13 and has much better control over the clubs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
GC4C have a decent selection of drivers under 70 quid..obviously older models but plenty of Ping and Callaway in Ladies and Regular flexes..
Worth a gander...at least you can see pics of them and choose a weight and flex...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
GC4C have a decent selection of drivers under 70 quid..obviously older models but plenty of Ping and Callaway in Ladies and Regular flexes..
Worth a gander...at least you can see pics of them and choose a weight and flex...
Cheers, I'm looking more bargain basement though since she only plays about 5 times a year. Usually someone on here has something they're happy to get rid of! Have got a couple of other good bargains for her through the generosity of forumers. :)