Walton Heath

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone played Walton Heath? How does it compare to Sunningdale? Have heard they are similar so I wanted to know would it be better to play Old and New on Sunningdale or Walton Heath?

Thanks

S

Snelly

I have played both. Sunningdale many times and Walton Heath once. Personally, I don't think they are in the same league with Sunningdale being vastly superior.

I came away from Walton Heath feeling really short-changed and I am not quite sure why but suppose that it just didn't match with my expectations. It has a similar feeling of space and expanse as Hankley Common but isn't as good a test of golf in my view. As I say, tricky to articulate but I didn't like it and am not a fan.

Sunningdale however, is simply magnificent. Both courses are an absolute joy to play with my preference being for the Old but not by much. I could wax lyrical about so many of the holes there but will instead simply say that you should go there and play both courses. Also make sure that you have an awesome lunch to separate the rounds and give you some time to relax and reflect in the superb clubhouse.

It is probably the best day out for 36 holes of golf in the UK, if not Europe. I certainly cannot think of anywhere that has two courses that equal the sublime standards of Sunningdale's Old and New. A brilliant day out - not cheap golf but fantastic value for money. Just make sure you check when the course maintenance is scheduled as you would want to play when the greens are at their best.

D

Deleted Member 1156

George, I would echo Snelly's comments. Walton Heath is fabulous but Sunningdale is still a step up. Biggest problem at WH is the constant noise from the M25 which is adjacent. Regarding Sunningdale, I used to think the Old is better but having played both courses again recently I think I might be leaning slightly towards the New now.

I'm trying to line up a game at WH in July so I might be able to update you further after that :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
George, I would echo Snelly's comments. Walton Heath is fabulous but Sunningdale is still a step up. Biggest problem at WH is the constant noise from the M25 which is adjacent. Regarding Sunningdale, I used to think the Old is better but having played both courses again recently I think I might be leaning slightly towards the New now.

I'm trying to line up a game at WH in July so I might be able to update you further after that :thup:

Sunningdale is superb, and the New is the better course.:)

Walton Heath isa bit below Sunningdale, but most courses are. Both Walton Heath courses are lovely, though I prefer the Old. I would never so no to a game at Walton Heath, and if I only knew someone that was going to join there.:whistle:

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
If only

Walton Heath isa bit below Sunningdale, but most courses are. Both Walton Heath courses are lovely, though I prefer the Old. I would never so no to a game at Walton Heath, and if I only knew someone that was going to join there.:whistle:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Didnt someone on here finally get accepted as a country member at Sunningdale - you should jump on that one instead.;):D

D

Deleted Member 1156

Didnt someone on here finally get accepted as a country member at Sunningdale - you should jump on that one instead.;):D

Richart missed a trick there Pedro, my membership at Sunningdale was only valid until 11:59am on 1st April :D

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They are very different but both good. Walton Heaths courses are very similar and share the same part of the Heath. They are very open an being sand based are fast in summer and tough in the wind. A good test as the tour pros find when they play in the US Open qualifying there.

Sunningdale on the other hand is just superb. A day spent there is pure golfing heaven. I personally prefer the old but either course is challenging and a pleasure to play.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was also disappointed with Walton Heath. I kept expecting to suddenly find a series of holes where I went "wow" but never did. And the noise of the M25 was definitely a distraction. It's a nice course but I would put the likes of Hankley Common and Hindhead above Walton Heath.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sunningdale Old/New are magnificent, the Old full of character but a bit quirky - and possibly a bit short too! The New is more serious, if that's possible, with some stunningly good holes, but (to be hyper-critical) both 18ths are somewhat disappointing as 'last' holes!

Walton Old/New are a step down from Sunningdale imo, but are a great pair of courses. The share the same land and style and there's really very little to choose between them. The Old starts with a (230-ish) Par 3 (that used to be a par 4, but insurance for vehicle damage on the road that cuts across it put paid to that design), then crosses a busy road to play probably the toughest 6 or 7 consecutive holes I know - especially if the prevailing wind is up! The New starts with a drive-able but dangerous Par 4, a short, but evil, Par 3 and a couple of 'interesting decision' Par 4s before the tough holes begin - 3 can be tough though! Both finish with really memorable 18ths - the remodelled Old 18th is now better than that of The New that I used to prefer. Both courses were designed as 'inland links' style and, perhaps unusually, do play very linksy, with lots of run on fairways, big (huge) fast greens that have subtle breaks and you can often use the putter from 50 yards from them! I always describe the M25 noise as 'the sound of the sea' an is really only intrusive on 2 or 3 holes imo. The heather is having a hard time in recent years. They are trying to regenerate it, but I'm dubious as to whether they will be successful!

If you are treating yourself to a very special occasion, then I'd recommend Sunningdale! If it's a 'once a year treat', then I don't believe you will be disappointed in either - provided you play both courses to get 'best value'.

I'd still opt for Red, then Blue on The Berkshire (with magnificent lunch between) as the best pair of courses for a Summer day though! :whistle: Hankley Common is arguably better than either of the Walton Heath courses, but the fact that you play 2 different courses at WH might give it an edge.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys, its appreciated. I have played the Old at Sunningdale and was very impressed, wanted to benchmark Walton Heath against it because it looked great and was thinking whether to return to Sunningdale and play both Old and New or try them at Walton Heath. Dont know any members at either of the courses so will just be a day out thing. I see they do have some open comps, but I am nowhere near the handicap limit to get in. Was looking for some charity days there potentially, but there dont seem to be many on those courses.

I did play Hankley earlier this year and was impressed with it once again, a lovely course. I play at Hindhead so I am used to screaming heather out in my sleep

S

Snelly

Thanks for the info guys, its appreciated. I have played the Old at Sunningdale and was very impressed, wanted to benchmark Walton Heath against it because it looked great and was thinking whether to return to Sunningdale and play both Old and New or try them at Walton Heath. Dont know any members at either of the courses so will just be a day out thing. I see they do have some open comps, but I am nowhere near the handicap limit to get in. Was looking for some charity days there potentially, but there dont seem to be many on those courses.

I did play Hankley earlier this year and was impressed with it once again, a lovely course. I play at Hindhead so I am used to screaming heather out in my sleep

If you are local to Hindhead then I would suggest The Berkshire, Swinley, Liphook, Sunningdale, St Georges Hill, West Sussex and Hankley as superior options to Walton Heath.

Many esteemed judges would disagree with me though.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers Snelly, I have played all of those except for Liphook and West Sussex and they were all great, will have to try those 2

D

Deleted member 15344

Liphook is stunning George - one of my fav courses - we play it in the Mariners each year