VPAR live scoring

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been looking at the VPAR phone app, which does all the usual GPS, aerial view, stats keeping and scoring (and quite well too IMO). But I'm interested in people's views/experiences of the live scoring function which would allow multiple groups to see in real time how everybody else is doing. Good thing/waste of time/distraction?

What do you think, and if you've used it is it straightforward for the luddites amongst my golfing fraternity.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know the specific app but with regard to live scoring....there are those who love it and those who simply don't want to know. I'm in the latter - I have enough problems not getting ahead of myself with my score alone (to the detriment of my play) and the last thing I need is more information!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I played in a comp on Sunday that must have been using something similar cause when I got home and looked at the scores, I could see someone on hole 14 for example and all their previous hole scores where there also, I thought it was fantastic, would save the pain of entering the scores after the round.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've used it a few times with my mates and it's good fun being able to see everything happening in real time.

The best time I've used it though was in a competition on The Old Course, in a field of 68ish people, I was in charge of inputting the scores and it was fantastic to see how everything was progressing and it gives me an opportunity to drop a pic in 😉
Screenshot_20180410-171819.png

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Used it once on a Society day with around 25 players and thought that it worked very well.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I tend to agree with the mixed feelings, time and place view. Fun round where there are more than 4 of you is good, club medal with 80 people not so sure. But I do think it will become more prevalent and start to overtake the pencil and scorecard in time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had the VPAR app for ages but never used it for anything other than my own score. I presumably everybody playing, or at least one per group, would need to have the app installed? And you all login to the same game or something?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I used it a couple of times entering scores for a group at the ProAm at Wentworth - different scoring methods each year.

Good for the players to see how other groups were doing, though a bit meaningless once the group was significantly down the rankings.