Vehicle reversing noises at 4.30 am !

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Capture.JPG

I live in a dead end residential city centre road with no off road parking and my neighbour leaves for work at 4.30 am driving one of these vehicles, it has a loud reversing warning sound which goes off every morning as he leaves for work as he attempts to get out of his parking spot on to the road, this wakes up me and the adjacent neighbours.

Is he breaking any rules by doing this?

Is this something I could report to environmental health.

He's not the sort of guy who can be approached!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't think he's doing anything illegal or wrong tbh. It's a safety feature that can't be turned off so you can't really report him for that doing it's job of alerting people to it reversing I'm afraid.

As a shift worker who has to sleep through the day those noises or people doing building work can wake me aswell. Or they used to, I bought a white noise machine for the kids years ago and when eldest grew out of it I stole it for nights , really covers the noise from outside

Dunno if worth trying

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
View attachment 54308

I live in a dead end residential city centre road with no off road parking and my neighbour leaves for work at 4.30 am driving one of these vehicles, it has a loud reversing warning sound which goes off every morning as he leaves for work as he attempts to get out of his parking spot on to the road, this wakes up me and the adjacent neighbours.

Is he breaking any rules by doing this?

Is this something I could report to environmental health.

He's not the sort of guy who can be approached!

Don’t think there is anything legally that can be done - guess you could have a chat to see if there is anyway he could reverse in at night so that allows him to leave going forwards

There was a similar issue across the road with a Kia making a loud noise when it reversed, apparently you can turn it off on them but the neighbour refused

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
All reverse bleepers if fitted correctly should have a switch to turn them off and a sticker next to the switch saying not to be used between the hours of 11.00 - 0700.
At least this was the case a few years ago when I was still working.

4LEX

Visit site
Definitely able to report him.

You'll need to register a complaint and then they'll send you a diary to record when noise is an issue. Film it for additional evidence and try to get your neighbours to do the same.

Sounds like the bloke is an obnoxious idiot.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get some of that self adhesive printer paper, write a polite non agressive message requesting him to kindly turn off the reversing bleeper, and then stick it firmly on the windscreen blocking his vision. You might hear some profanities early the next morning but it should be worth it. That stuff takes a lot of removing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect the reversing sounder is unable to be turned off. Because of insurance and health and safety concerns they often cannot be turned off to avoid drivers forgetting to turn it back on.
It wasn’t that long ago, a road I know in town was resurfaced and new kerbs was done over a week of night time works. Every vehicle had sounders and flashing beacons which sent the residents potty, but none of them could be disabled.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Don’t think there is anything legally that can be done - guess you could have a chat to see if there is anyway he could reverse in at night so that allows him to leave going forwards

There was a similar issue across the road with a Kia making a loud noise when it reversed, apparently you can turn it off on them but the neighbour refused

It's on-street parking.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Is there a company name on the vehicle? If so perhaps contact them to avoid dealing directly with the guy.

Yes, might give them a ring.

We've also contacted Environmental Health who say they can help, but we have to keep a two week diary first, which we've started doing.
We were only not woken up last night because he was able to pull out of the space without reversing, but the neighbours at the end of the road will have been disturbed as he navigated the turning head to get out of our cul-de-sac.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you talking abpout a beep beep beep sound, or is it one of these load verbal warnings - warning vehicle reversing - vehicle is turning left - ... kind of sounds?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t help but feel there’s a little snobby nimby going on here with some of the comments. The vehicle has a safety sounder to protect those nearby when it’s manouvering, which is most probably because we have become a blame culture society for anything. If the guy is engaging reverse and leaving it in reverse for god knows how long, then fair enough something needs to be said. But if it’s just a a normal manoeuvre to allow him to go to work then it’s unfortunate but you have to get used to it.
You would probably get more thought about it if you actually spoke to him in a normal friendly way, but making complaints above his head won’t make him think about his neighbours in a nice way.
For context, I grew up living opposite an ambulance depot with a fire station 100 yds down the road as well. You got used to the sirens at any time of day and they never bothered you.
I appreciate sound travels further at that time of day, which is why when I reverse off my drive at 4:50 every morning I try to be as quick and with as slow an engine speed as much as possible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I am a bit surprised that you wouldn't at least put a polite note through his door before resorting to reporting him officially. Something tells me you've already fallen out with him before.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Yeah, I am a bit surprised that you wouldn't at least put a polite note through his door before resorting to reporting him officially. Something tells me you've already fallen out with him before.

There has already been anti-social behaviour from the group who live in the property including a police raid and a car towed away for no tax -- I'd rather not confront.
He knows he could park a little bit away from the properties, he's just inconsiderate and I'm likely to get a mouth full of abuse or worse.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Deal: Magicteam Sleep Sound White Noise Machine with 40 Natural Soothing Sounds and Memory Function 32 Levels of Volume Sleep Timer Sound Therapy for Baby Kids Adults https://amzn.eu/d/0fmsr98W

£20. Saves the agg of reporting him, causing bad feelings when he gets the report (which he can't do much about on a safety feature of the car)

Got to think if your worried about abuse or worse is it worth poking the bear

Can imagine in the winter it's not so much an issue as the windows are closed