Variable Gas/Electricity Tariffs

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have just come off a fixed rate and know it is preferable to stay on the variable tariff rather than fix for the time being.

The rise seems staggering with daily charge increasing from from 24.3 to 27.2 for gas and 25.09 to 42.24 for electricity and Unit cost from 2.42 to 7.34 and 13.65 to 28.02 for Electricity.

We are with EON(Sainsburys).

Are all variable tariffs the same at present and does anybody have any suggestions please?

RichA

Visit site
We have just come off a fixed rate and know it is preferable to stay on the variable tariff rather than fix for the time being.

The rise seems staggering with daily charge increasing from from 24.3 to 27.2 for gas and 25.09 to 42.24 for electricity and Unit cost from 2.42 to 7.34 and 13.65 to 28.02 for Electricity.

Are all variable tariffs the same at present and does anybody have any suggestions please?
I think it's the same for everyone.
I've been with Outfox The Market, playing about £100pm, for the last 5 years on fixed rates.
I've just had to go onto the variable rate. I calculated the cost based on last years usage and it's about £210pm.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Only way I could see around it was to take out a loan, install solar panels and a battery, the saving pm leveled out the gas and kept it to the rate I was paying now rather than a massive increase

The increase savings pay for the loan

Either way I've had to pay the new amount in a round about way but least I have something to show for it instead of lining energy companies profit margins.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to the news channels we are paying for all the failed energy supply companies via the daily charge.

Even if you use no gas or electricity you are going to pay around £250 - £300 a year in standing charges.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to the news channels we are paying for all the failed energy supply companies via the daily charge.

Even if you use no gas or electricity you are going to pay around £250 - £300 a year in standing charges.

From what I've read / been told from those who work in the sector it was due to very poor vetting of companies being set up, the well run companies remain (bulb propped up by the gov ATM) but all the "bottom feeders" who set up to make a quick buck and didn't really have any measures in place if anything went wrong are all gone. Costing us money now.