Van driver tries to run over cyclist

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cycle and I agree that some cyclists are idiots, running red lights etc. Winds me up sometimes as I know the next time I'm out on my bike some irate motorist is going to take out their frustration on me because some clown has wound them up.
I now treat every cyclist/motorist as a knob and expect them to do something stupid.
This way I am wary of everyone it keeps me out of trouble.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I now treat every cyclist/motorist as a knob and expect them to do something stupid.
This way I am wary of everyone it keeps me out of trouble.

Funnily enough my driving instructor many years ago gave me pretty much the same advice. It has stood me in good stead, particularly on roundabouts and at junctions.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have nothing against cyclists who obey the highway code and follow the rules of the road, and many do but there are an awful lot who don't. Try driving through a University town in the morning and just watch the students do exactly what they like with no attention to lights, zebra crossings, stop signs, other road users and even pedestrians. I have done this through Oxford and by the end of my 15 minute journey I was amazed nobody had been killed. Thank goodness I showed awareness and had good brakes.
Before anyone asks, if I'm behind a cyclist and there is no room to overtake, I will wait until it is safe to do so and then give them a wide berth. We have lots going down the A77 past our course and you have to be extra careful when pulling out of the car park.
No excuse for the driver of the van or for anyone who gets aggressive on the road.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have nothing against cyclists who obey the highway code and follow the rules of the road, and many do but there are an awful lot who don't. Try driving through a University town in the morning and just watch the students do exactly what they like with no attention to lights, zebra crossings, stop signs, other road users and even pedestrians. I have done this through Oxford and by the end of my 15 minute journey I was amazed nobody had been killed. Thank goodness I showed awareness and had good brakes.
Before anyone asks, if I'm behind a cyclist and there is no room to overtake, I will wait until it is safe to do so and then give them a wide berth. We have lots going down the A77 past our course and you have to be extra careful when pulling out of the car park.
No excuse for the driver of the van or for anyone who gets aggressive on the road.

There are millions of car drivers who break the law every single day, they speed, use mobile phones, jump traffic lights, make illegal turns and so on (I see all of these every day). The reality is the cyclists that don't follow the rules are not likely to kill anyone except maybe themselves but mostly it just annoys car drivers. All the things that car drivers do, can and does lead to people getting killed on our roads.

People really need to get a proper perspective on this, being pissed off against being killed, really big difference.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I can assure you that if I killed a cyclist who skipped a red light or what ever It was that broke the law, I would be just as upset as if it was any other road user who did the same as cyclist. Whether he broke the Highway Code and only killed himself there are innocent road users who have to pick up the pieces afterwards.

Re road users breaking the law every day, yup totally agree with you there. Ave just booked me speed awareness course for June.:whistle:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I can assure you that if I killed a cyclist who skipped a red light or what ever It was that broke the law, I would be just as upset as if it was any other road user who did the same as cyclist. Whether he broke the Highway Code and only killed himself there are innocent road users who have to pick up the pieces afterwards.

Re road users breaking the law every day, yup totally agree with you there. Ave just booked me speed awareness course for June.:whistle:

While I appreciate you would be upset if you killed someone and it not being your fault the reality is it hardly happens compared to the misery caused by bad car driving. it is not just in the same ball park at all. Bikers ignoring traffic lights and riding a bit wide or 2 abreast just piss us of and not a lot else. I am sure if we ask the police of fire brigade what's the issue, the odd cyclist driving through a red light, on the pavement or 2 abreast or the nutters in their cars using mobiles, drink driving,jumping red lights, speeding etc and there would only ever be one winner. But visit the internet and you would think people were getting killed daily by these scum cyclists who should all be taken out and shot unlike car drivers who we should all look up to as paragons of virtue.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There are millions of car drivers who break the law every single day, they speed, use mobile phones, jump traffic lights, make illegal turns and so on (I see all of these every day). The reality is the cyclists that don't follow the rules are not likely to kill anyone except maybe themselves but mostly it just annoys car drivers. All the things that car drivers do, can and does lead to people getting killed on our roads.

People really need to get a proper perspective on this, being pissed off against being killed, really big difference.
I think you're reading too much of one side into this. I drive 30k miles a year and see lots of stupid and dangerous drivers. Lots. However, breaking the law is breaking the law, whether on two wheels or four.

While I appreciate you would be upset if you killed someone and it not being your fault the reality is it hardly happens compared to the misery caused by bad car driving. it is not just in the same ball park at all. Bikers ignoring traffic lights and riding a bit wide or 2 abreast just piss us of and not a lot else. I am sure if we ask the police of fire brigade what's the issue, the odd cyclist driving through a red light, on the pavement or 2 abreast or the nutters in their cars using mobiles, drink driving,jumping red lights, speeding etc and there would only ever be one winner. But visit the internet and you would think people were getting killed daily by these scum cyclists who should all be taken out and shot unlike car drivers who we should all look up to as paragons of virtue.
Also, if a rider breaks the rules and, by their own fault, gets killed, the other person still has to face the trauma of that incident as well as the knock-on effects on their family.
I'm not trying to make anyone the baddie in this. Bad / inconsiderate / law breaking, call it what you like. Nobody is better than anyone else.
Read what I say, I give cyclists plenty of room and show them lots of respect on the road. As long as they do the same with me and respect the rules, I don't have a problem.
Oh and I have friends who are policeman and believe me, errant cyclists tick them off as well.

I've also ridden and instructed motorcycles as well and, as above, I treat everyone as an idiot unless proven otherwise. No matter how many wheels they are on.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
No I think you miss the point I am making.

Most people break the law when it comes to driving a car or riding a bike. It seems almost inevitable, rather than seeing them as a dangerous machines (well the car mostly) we just take it for granted as another tool.

So all this up in arms against Bike riders is really stupid from the perspective of the dangers of driving a car. No matter how bad not stopping at a red light or driving on the pavement is it's is so minimal to what car drivers do every day which leads to people dying on our roads. They are not comparable in any way. Someone not stopping at a red light or going on to the pavement to avoid a light is not the same as doing 30mph in a 20 zone or using a mobile phone while driving or drink driving yet the fuss given out on the internet etc about the bike issue is amazing as I said you would think these minor infractions are getting people killed where as car drivers are whiter than white.

I am certainly not worried I am going to get injured or killed by any sort of cycle rider the same cannot be said of car drivers ever. The reality is we need to look after our cycle riders regardless of their stupidity at times as they are at risk of death but when it comes to cars we need to be much stronger on the poor ones not because they pose a risk to themselves but also to everyone else. That is criminal not riding on the pavement or jumping a red light even though it is law breaking and very annoying it is not on a par with the car driver and their bad behaviours.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing is done about most cyclist / motorists as I can't remember seeing a police car for weeks by mine.
Cops on the beat never anymore.
Do see two cycling cops on the sustains cycle way quite regularly.

They do not treat this as a priority until someone is hurt or killed, then there's cops all over the place.
Roads are shut for hours on end for investigations even on the most simple of accidents.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just to emphasise my thoughts on the knob heads that frequent our roads. There's a video on the BBC site of some motor bikers who injured there own quite frankly being grade one *****.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
All road users need to behave responsibly, this includes motorists who should keep within speed limits, be aware of who/what is around you and watch out for idiots.
And cyclists who need to understand that they are vulnerable and should ride defensively.

Nearly took out 2 cyclists the other day , 1 jumping a red light and one turning right in front of me without looking or a hint of a signal.

Ultimately Darwins law will win and people will cry

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No I think you miss the point I am making.

Most people break the law when it comes to driving a car or riding a bike. It seems almost inevitable, rather than seeing them as a dangerous machines (well the car mostly) we just take it for granted as another tool.

So all this up in arms against Bike riders is really stupid from the perspective of the dangers of driving a car. No matter how bad not stopping at a red light or driving on the pavement is it's is so minimal to what car drivers do every day which leads to people dying on our roads. They are not comparable in any way. Someone not stopping at a red light or going on to the pavement to avoid a light is not the same as doing 30mph in a 20 zone or using a mobile phone while driving or drink driving yet the fuss given out on the internet etc about the bike issue is amazing as I said you would think these minor infractions are getting people killed where as car drivers are whiter than white.

I am certainly not worried I am going to get injured or killed by any sort of cycle rider the same cannot be said of car drivers ever. The reality is we need to look after our cycle riders regardless of their stupidity at times as they are at risk of death but when it comes to cars we need to be much stronger on the poor ones not because they pose a risk to themselves but also to everyone else. That is criminal not riding on the pavement or jumping a red light even though it is law breaking and very annoying it is not on a par with the car driver and their bad behaviours.

I'd politely suggest that the point you are missing is that whilst a lot of motorists might break the law, they don't make a fuss about who else is doing it. Conversely there seems to be a large amount of cyclists who want the law enforced very rigidly against motorists whilst at the same time breaking the law themselves and squealing like stuck pigs when they are caught and dealt with.

As to cyclists only being a danger to themselves, try walking out of Waterloo station during the rush hour. Despite the fact that some of the area is designated as a shared surface, you will be ridden at and forced to take evasive action, pretty much as the cyclist in the video was forced to do. There are cyclists who will rightly moan about people driving like the van driver did, yet are quite happy to mete out similarly suffering to pedestrians.

And before anyone suggests otherwise, none of the above is in any way an attempt to defend the behaviour of the van driver in the video, which is completely indefensible.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I used to ride a motorcycle I always took my position in the centre of the lane, I always considered that a car stopped at a junction ahead would pull out in front of me, I always took the centre of the road when aproaching a junction or crossroad so that cars stopped could see me, I enjoyed the ride and didn't make a policy of overtaking any car in front of me. I survived.