Van driver tries to run over cyclist

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
That's the A272, a road that has lots of 60mph sections & also lots of fatalities. I don't blame the cyclist one bit for claiming his absolute right to use the entire lane to stop dickheads overtaking 1' away from him with a 50mph speed difference. Personally I avoid A roads at all costs when cycling.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the A272, a road that has lots of 60mph sections & also lots of fatalities. I don't blame the cyclist one bit for claiming his absolute right to use the entire lane to stop dickheads overtaking 1' away from him with a 50mph speed difference. Personally I avoid A roads at all costs when cycling.
Its called the Primary Riding Position and is the right of the cyclist to stop anyone trying to pass him in a tight spot.
we were taught to ride like this.
Some motorists don't know this and is why they get impatient ,
would he take over a police car there?
Thats what I always ask myself in a situation like that.

Good and bad motorists and cyclists but in a crash who comes off worse?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
would he take over a police car there?

In fairness though a police car is 5ft wider and 50mph faster, I'd also expect a police car doing 10mph to be down the side of the road so allowing other vehicles to pass. There's a fine balance between pig headedly (and rightly in some instances) taking control of the centre of the road and showing due care and attention to other road users by allowing them to pass.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In fairness though a police car is 5ft wider and 50mph faster, I'd also expect a police car doing 10mph to be down the side of the road so allowing other vehicles to pass. There's a fine balance between pig headedly (and rightly in some instances) taking control of the centre of the road and showing due care and attention to other road users by allowing them to pass.
My point is solid lines mean you can't overtake or cross the line .
so if said police car is doing 10mph you can't cross lines to go past.
You would get done!
These are usually on bendy roads as you can't see round corners.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My point is solid lines mean you can't overtake or cross the line .
so if said police car is doing 10mph you can't cross lines to go past.
You would get done!
These are usually on bendy roads as you can't see round corners.

I'd read up again mate, you can overtake a slow moving vehicle/cycle doing <10mph by crossing double white lines if safe to do so.
Also, watch the clip again, the van waits for the white lines to go dotted on his side before attempting the "overtake".
Bloody cyclists, they should be banned anyway ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

The cyclist isn't doing 10mph either closer to 20 i would say

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd read up again mate, you can overtake a slow moving vehicle/cycle doing <10mph by crossing double white lines if safe to do so.
Also, watch the clip again, the van waits for the white lines to go dotted on his side before attempting the "overtake".
Bloody cyclists, they should be banned anyway ;)
I drive and cycle a lot and you see more bad drivers than cyclist.
while I have seen cyclist on the phone or texting it's rare.
Be honest how many motorists do you see on the phone texting not even looking where they are going.
This cyclist must of thought he was in danger to go to PRP.
But van driver is a moron no excuses.
Bikes were on the road before cars so how can you justify banning them.
Dont give me the road tax excuse.
I pay my VED but choose to use my bike instead of my car!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me the way so many car drivers approach a cyclist and pull out onto the other side of the road with no care of traffic coming the other way. I was taught to wait behind the cyclist until the other side of the road is clear.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me the way so many car drivers approach a cyclist and pull out onto the other side of the road with no care of traffic coming the other way. I was taught to wait behind the cyclist until the other side of the road is clear.
Thats the correct way.
what a lot of motorists don't realise is the air they displace when they go past a cyclist is enough to knock them off , you don't need to touch him.
The size and speed of the vehicle makes a massive difference , a lorry at 60 mph can lift you off the road.
Read this moron has been sacked , he had personal problems.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
White van man is a plank. Hmm I notice this is not the only white van man thread today.
Cyclist is a plank, but does not deserve that.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Came back from Manchester on Sunday and Missis T fancied a scenic route back through Derbyshire. Well she would coz Tashyboy was driving. Anyway we ended up driving through the tour de bloody wood head, Derbyshire, Lancs and lord knows what. I must of passed 200 Cyclists, some have passed there Highway Code and ride on there own. Some were lonely and think it's ok to ride two three and four abreast. Some don't even know what the speed limit is, dropping into glossop which is a 30 mph. It don't count if you have stabilisers on your method of transport especially if you are over taking cars going down hill.
Read on here it's ok for him to ride in the middle of the road so he cannot be overtaken. By who, van, car. What about another cyclist or motorcycle. For me that was selfish rising by the cyclist, but white van man deserves castrating.

Re Bezerk on strictly, well he's already said he don't dance so there's no way I am watching Bezerk on Strictly Cum.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
On my way this morning to a match. 7.30ish. Right in the middle of the rush hour. Managed to get (safely) ahead of a gaggle of about 30 cyclists intent on causing mayhem and then caught up with the breakaway group of 9. Followed patiently for 1.5 miles as the road was too narrow to get past safely and they must have been golfers as they had no intention of letting me through. Then we got to the roadworks .........

Red light? What red light? They don't apply to us....

Cyclists are their own worst enemies sometimes.

http://vid268.photobucket.com/albums/jj25/br27ha/Cyclists/Death Wish.mp4

D

Deleted Member 1156

There are a lot of comments on here from people claiming to be experienced motorists who clearly have no understanding of how to treat other road users. The cyclist has every right to be positioned where he is in the road and is riding defensively to protect himself. The van driver should wait until it is clear to pull out into the other lane. If he holds up traffic for a few seconds then tough, deal with it.

If anyone thinks otherwise then head down to your local police station and have a chat with a traffic officer who can put you straight.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a lot of comments on here from people claiming to be experienced motorists who clearly have no understanding of how to treat other road users. The cyclist has every right to be positioned where he is in the road and is riding defensively to protect himself. The van driver should wait until it is clear to pull out into the other lane. If he holds up traffic for a few seconds then tough, deal with it.

If anyone thinks otherwise then head down to your local police station and have a chat with a traffic officer who can put you straight.

Well put mate. Can't say I'm surprised to read the responses throwing blame at the guy who was well within the law. The usual small minded responses from people who think that they have a divine right to go as quickly as they can.

I've been knocked off my bike by a truck and I've witnessed a young girl pushed into a wall by 2 dickheads in a souped up Saxo. Whilst some cyclists might break a rule or 2, their actions are rarely fatal to anyone but themselves.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Trouble is D4S, the roads are full of planks when it comes to driving, from class 1 Lorry drivers who think big is best, down to cyclists who have no consideration for others, ( and I don't mean in this instance ). And everyone in between. It is the person, not the vehicle they are driving or riding. As has been mentioned some of these people play golf and have the same mentality.

Just talking to my lad about this, he is a class one Lorry driver. He said if he had a quid for the amount of times he is turning left at a junction, is wide right in the left hand lane and a cyclist decides there is room for him to go kerbside and ride straight on. It is a deathwish for cyclists and has been for some. Why do they do it. It is the person.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
While I completely agree that there are plenty of numpty cyclists, the danger with this argument is that they write off bad driver behaviour, because cyclists jump a red light, or ride on a pavement. The two aren't even close to being matched/countered. Cyclists acts like a numpty, noone really gets hurt (in the case of RLJ, odds are they hurt themselves!). Car driver drives badly, cyclist has a chance of dying. Not a fair comparison IMO.

Don't really buy the above. Jumps red light, vehicle swerves to avoid the cyclist that shouldn't have been there and ploughs into the schoolchildren on the pavement.

Not relevant to the case in question on the OP though.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't really buy the above. Jumps red light, vehicle swerves to avoid the cyclist that shouldn't have been there and ploughs into the schoolchildren on the pavement.

Not relevant to the case in question on the OP though.

Any examples of this? It's a common complaint people have but I've genuinly never heard of it actually happening...

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, the cyclist appears to be a 100% bellend, he knows exactly what he's doing and seems to be looking for a confrontation, he should be put on an awareness course as a result of this footage. Van driver needs locking up.

Judge Beez will now reside in his chambers :D
judges are supposed to be impartial .
you seem to dislike cyclists judging by later posts.
how is he looking for a confrontation by riding in The Primary Riding Position as taught by most cycling schools/manuals.

One main problem is van drivers these days have unrealistic schedules to adhere to.
But that's no excuse for his behaviour.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I cycle and I agree that some cyclists are idiots, running red lights etc. Winds me up sometimes as I know the next time I'm out on my bike some irate motorist is going to take out their frustration on me because some clown has wound them up.