Utility iron

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I've got space for one club in the bag and tempted to give a utility iron a go.

Never had one before, and currently bottom of bag goes driver 10.5 adjustable so usually on around 11.5, 4W at 17, and then 4H at 22.

Used to have a 3H at 19 when I first started that I liked, but the head is huge and I've fallen out with it.

Was tempted to get a small head 19° hybrid, but now I'm thinking might try a utility iron at 19 or 20° with me preferring the smaller head lately.

I don't have a handicap as I'm not a member anywhere but usually shoot low 90s, so I'm wondering if the utility might not be a good idea due to that haha

Anyone got any advice?

4W goes about 190 off the deck and 4H about 160
Don't like the 4H off the tee so leaves a big gap between 4W and 5I for tee shots

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With driving/utility irons I think the purpose is to give a different option rather than a different distance so gapping maybe not as much of a concern? I'd say you have to be a decent ball-striker to get on with one, but there are probably a couple of more forgiving ones out there. Like the G410 crossover maybe, although when I hit that it tended to hang out to the right, I think the club was sitting a bit open. I dunno, I thought about going down the driving iron route but I never really saw one that I'd be confident to hit with my dodgy ball-striking, in the end I've finally found a 5 wood I can get on with instead.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're a good ball striker then a utility iron can be a right weapon in your bag. If you're not then it'll make you look like a clown. I have driver, 3 Wood and 19 degree 5 wood. I swap the 5 wood out for my 18 degree iron when conditions or courses suit it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
My bag goes D-4W-2i-4i at the top of the bag and I don't use the 2i a huge amount but don't find it that hard to hit. I use it more off the tee on our 9th hole than anywhere else, don't tend to use it much off the fairway but as an option off the tee it's awesome.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seem to have utility as irons as not great if your swing speed is slower.

That covers me, and from your distances possibly you.

There are some smaller hybrids that are closer to an iron in design - callaways apex 19 being one such example.

Kpa77

Visit site
Based on your distances I’d be a touch concerned you don’t have the speed to launch the utility iron. However the Titleist U510 does a great job of this although it’s head is on the larger size. Give it a look and maybe consider a lighter shaft to the standard 80g hzrdus smoke black.

Mandofred

Visit site
A couple years ago I was resisting going with the more hybrids and bought a Srixon utility. Head to head on the practice ground an equal hit with the hybrid was further. Maybe I could have been straighter with the utility.....but it took a good shot with the utility to go the same distance as a so-so hybrid shot.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Never had one before, and currently bottom of bag goes driver 10.5 adjustable so usually on around 11.5, 4W at 17, and then 4H at 22.

Used to have a 3H at 19 when I first started that I liked, but the head is huge and I've fallen out with it.

Was tempted to get a small head 19° hybrid, but now I'm thinking might try a utility iron at 19 or 20° with me preferring the smaller head lately.

I don't have a handicap as I'm not a member anywhere but usually shoot low 90s, so I'm wondering if the utility might not be a good idea due to that haha

Anyone got any advice?

Don't like the 4H off the tee so leaves a big gap between 4W and 5I for tee shots

I have almost exactly those lofts, 11.25 driver, 17 degree 4 wood and 22 degree 4 hybrid. I also have a 4 iron (also 22 degrees), because the hybrid and iron behave differently. The hybrid is good off the fairway, but I prefer the 4 iron off a tee. The iron goes a bit shorter, but lower and straighter too.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I have almost exactly those lofts, 11.25 driver, 17 degree 4 wood and 22 degree 4 hybrid. I also have a 4 iron (also 22 degrees), because the hybrid and iron behave differently. The hybrid is good off the fairway, but I prefer the 4 iron off a tee. The iron goes a bit shorter, but lower and straighter too.

I don't carry a 4I but my 5I is really strong lofted at 23

incatrekker

Visit site

Anyone got any advice?

A lot depends on what you want to achieve with the utility. Distance shouldn’t be the criteria, more the accuracy. Best guide would be how well do you hit the longest iron you have? If you don’t regularly hit that solid steer away from a utility, they require a solid strike to be really advantageous. Maybe look at your scoring clubs, wedges etc. for an additional weapon.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
A lot depends on what you want to achieve with the utility. Distance shouldn’t be the criteria, more the accuracy. Best guide would be how well do you hit the longest iron you have? If you don’t regularly hit that solid steer away from a utility, they require a solid strike to be really advantageous. Maybe look at your scoring clubs, wedges etc. for an additional weapon.

Yeah current bottom end set up is PW(44°), 52,56,60 so I'm considering a 48 as another option

incatrekker

Visit site
Yeah current bottom end set up is PW(44°), 52,56,60 so I'm considering a 48 as another option
Wedges are very personal tools. I see why you’d put in a 48 and you could use the 56 as sand wedge. Loft on that with suitable bounce would be good, depending on the course you usually play. Maybe keep track on which wedges you use most as a guide?
I currently play with 45,50,54,58 but have a 52,53,54 (diff bounce),3x56 (diff bounce),3x 60 (diff bounce) which I’ve accumulated over years. In the winter I switch the 58 out for a 56, take out the 54 and carry less clubs.