Utilities...overrated or what?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Let me start this by admitting that I am a bit of a traditionalist But a few months ago, after being told by mates at the club and continually reading (In Golf Monthly actually!) that the utility was a "must" club and that not to have one was giving everyone else an advantage - plus all the stuff about the lies you could hit a utility out of etc – I got one.

I went straight to the range, hit it well and thought, yes I see what they mean. However, in the months since I just haven't been abe to get comfy with it or get confidence from the way it looks - i have hit a couple of good shots but most have been average. Also it has meant i have been dithering over what club to take out the bag - normally my 5-wood (a real old favourite Callaway Steelhead)

Anyway last week i finally took the utility out and stuck to my 3 and 5 woods - have played 3 times and hit some great shots and now feel confident again. Have not come across any times when i thought "oh I wish I had a utility" - I can either get a 5-wood to it or there is no way I could get anything but a high iron to it....so I am converted back!!

What has beeen everyone else's experience?

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First time I used the utility woods I hit them really well but lately have been hitting ground before all. Have realised that better off hitting my irons out the semi-rough as always hit it fat but doesn't that defeat the point?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I disagree with you Trueblue. IMHO rescue clubs a good safety club that most am's would benefit from having. Without doubt easier to hit than long irons - more control than fairway woods

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably easier to use but far less satisfaction from hitting a wafty, drifting rescue club than a purely drilled 3-iron. If you're starting out utilities are a good option but everyone should aspire to play with long irons.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
The reality is that Utility clubs serve a very good purpose; they allow you to hit longer straighter shots if you are no good at striking long irons or woods. They also help you develop confidence and better striking so that you do eventually transfer to the long iron/wood. Personally I have one that I use of the tee if my timing is off and without it I would be knackered….essentially it’s all about personal preference and performance, sure I would like to be sufficiently able to use a long iron at will, but that day has yet to come…..

“ the more I practice, the more I know I’m crap”

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dont be to hasty getting rid completely true blue- when you have an off day and your stood over a fairway wood or long iron you may be wishing you'd kept it in the bag!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I often switch between my utility and 3 iron depending on where and how im playing. There is no denying they are a great club to have in the right circumstances

B

birdieman

I sometimes carry just one utility, an 18 degree Cobra baffler in place of a 2 iron. I find it essential for a lot of the long par 3's in the 220-240 yard range, which is too short for a 3 wood. I feel I can hit long irons ok playing off 4 but the utility covers me better as I can hit it so-so and still get a decent result. If you dont get a 2 iron right out of the middle you're immediately in bogey country. Choking down on a 3 wood doesn't give me nearly as much control. Only downside is I can carry one less wedge. I say have a look at the yardages of the course before you go out and factor in wind and cold, then decide whether you need to carry a utility or not. If there are no long par threes I wouldn't carry one, take an extra wedge instead.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find utilities very hit and miss but have never tried them off the tee. I mainly used them in lieu of a three wood or instead of an iron if I want more distance.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love utilities off the deck but struggle with them off the tee for some reason. Can't work it out - anyone help?

maybe try teeing it as low as possible or even dispensing with a tee altogether for that 'fairway effect'