Using a stiff flex shaft with a slowish swing speed......?

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So recently my mate gave me his old 3 wood, and it has a stiff shaft in it.

I can hit it well off the tee, but it goes a lot higer than id expect. Now im just wondering is this down to the shaft?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I can hit it well off the tee, but it goes a lot higer than id expect. Now im just wondering is this down to the shaft?

No, if it's a Stiff shaft, it would fly lower, & not so far. Sounds like your hand action, & weight distribution through impact is adding some extra loft to the shots.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Does it work though? With modern day shaft design it is possible that a stiffer shaft could fly higher due to it having a high launching design. I have hit X-stiff that go higher than a Stiff.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Higher compared to what? Driver? Hybrid? 5-iron? Presumably, your Driver and Hybrids are Regular flex.

How high do you tee it? And where in your stance?

3-wood does tend to have a different shape to flight. But actually, a 'balanced' set tend to peak at about the same height in all clubs! A lot of what looks like high flight is actually just initial launch.

Any idea what shaft is in it? And is it a 15* one or an 'HL' one (16.5). The HL (High Launch) are just Marketing/Ego 'gimmicks' to make 4W appear to be 3W. In many cases 4Ws are better!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Higher compared to what? Driver? Hybrid? 5-iron? Presumably, your Driver and Hybrids are Regular flex.

How high do you tee it? And where in your stance?

3-wood does tend to have a different shape to flight. But actually, a 'balanced' set tend to peak at about the same height in all clubs! A lot of what looks like high flight is actually just initial launch.

Any idea what shaft is in it? And is it a 15* one or an 'HL' one (16.5). The HL (High Launch) are just Marketing/Ego 'gimmicks' to make 4W appear to be 3W. In many cases 4Ws are better!

I would say it goes alot higher than my driver. At times the ball flight is similar to my PW, just in height not distance. I have no doubt its mostly down a swing fault....but im just wondering if the shaft is making a little bit worse.

I tee it maybes an inch off the ground or perhaps a smidge higher, and i play it about the inside of my left heel.

The club is a Titlesit 904F, 15deg. And i think the shaft is - Aldila NV 85

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I would say it goes alot higher than my driver. At times the ball flight is similar to my PW, just in height not distance. I have no doubt its mostly down a swing fault....but im just wondering if the shaft is making a little bit worse.

I tee it maybes an inch off the ground or perhaps a smidge higher, and i play it about the inside of my left heel.

The club is a Titlesit 904F, 15deg. And i think the shaft is - Aldila NV 85

There's why then!

Tee it just almost at ground level then. And just a bit further back in the stance to compensate too.

As it is, you are almost certainly hitting up on it - or at least high on the face, which will send it high.

Try hitting it off the deck to sort out best position in your stance. It should be pretty much the same from the tee.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's why then!

Tee it just almost at ground level then. And just a bit further back in the stance to compensate too.

As it is, you are almost certainly hitting up on it - or at least high on the face, which will send it high.

Try hitting it off the deck to sort out best position in your stance. It should be pretty much the same from the tee.

Ok ill try teeing it lower and see how that works.

thanks for the help :thup: