US Open

Swango1980

Visit site
No question. He wanted to hole it to take the pressure off himself and put it on to Zalatoris. But then he paused because he realised that didn't fit with the tradition of the winner holing the final putt. You could see him looking around and then he shot a look at his caddy, obviously Billy Foster said something, and then he tapped it in.

Personally, I think it would have been a much better moment to mark it and then sink the definitive winning putt. But I totally understand why he didn't wait!
I can't ever remember a time where a player would have marked a gimme putt, if the guy they are playing with still has a putt to tie? I'd only imagine them marking it if it was a bit longer than gimme, and they didn't want the embarrassment of rushing a short putt and missing due to lack of focus (I'm sure we've all missed those).

But, had he marked his ball in gimme range, it would clearly be so that he could have that "winning moment". He'd look a mug if the other guy made their putt, and then it was no longer the winning putt. Also, as I said before, it appears really disrespectful to the guy he plays with, almost looks like an assumption they will miss their putt.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for sharing (y)

I'll save everyone else 5 minutes as the relevant bit is:

"We went to see Sasho Mackenzie [a biomechanist] on a consultancy basis, which would always be categorised as a risk but we did not change Matt’s pattern. We were just trying to speed up his existing pattern without changing his golf swing. Matt is really fast in terms of rotation but he hasn’t got much leverage. One of the areas he could have gone down, although I don’t think you’d have heard about him again, was adding more lateral movement but we decided against that. He has done it with a combination of gym training with Matt Roberts and Sasho in the background with his weights [fixed to the end of a practice stick called ‘The Stack]."
The last couple of paragraphs in the same article are just as important imo....

If the Fitzpatrick-Walker bond is beyond dispute, the one between player and caddie is also hugely significant. Billy Foster, a popular veteran of the bag carrying world, cut an emotional figure after ending a near four-decade wait for a major win.

“Matt is scared of him – or do you call it mutual respect?” Walker says with a laugh. “Billy is a great psychologist without having ever studied it. It’s cliched but he knows when to say things at the right time, how to read situations. When you add all that experience on top of it … he is also extremely diligent, meticulous in fact. They are both football fans. Their personalities match really well.” Fitzpatrick has discovered the perfect blend.

sunshine

Visit site
The last couple of paragraphs in the same article are just as important imo....

If the Fitzpatrick-Walker bond is beyond dispute, the one between player and caddie is also hugely significant. Billy Foster, a popular veteran of the bag carrying world, cut an emotional figure after ending a near four-decade wait for a major win.

“Matt is scared of him – or do you call it mutual respect?” Walker says with a laugh. “Billy is a great psychologist without having ever studied it. It’s cliched but he knows when to say things at the right time, how to read situations. When you add all that experience on top of it … he is also extremely diligent, meticulous in fact. They are both football fans. Their personalities match really well.” Fitzpatrick has discovered the perfect blend.

Not really. Those last paragraphs have nothing to do with Fitzpatrick gaining length.

Visit site
We have a comp the day after the Selboune Salver, and I have stopped playing in it as the course is so difficult. Horrible pin positions and greens that are really quick after being rolled. Andy Sullivan did shot a course record 60 when he won it. ?

Yeh I think my mates play it and it beats them up every year.

It gets silly hard when they start hiding the flags - our club champs at Hindhead is like torture.

I am playing in the Blackmoor Bowl this year (handicap ballot permitting), and look forward to what is likely to be a tricky setup.

On another note, it was sad to see your greens struggling so much. I think there was an issue with irrigation systems which caused the problems, but the 9th was looking particularly sad ?
Approx 2 years ago, I would say Blackmoor had better greens than Hindhead that summer (and about as fast) but in recent times they’ve always seemed slower and a bit patchy.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeh I think my mates play it and it beats them up every year.

It gets silly hard when they start hiding the flags - our club champs at Hindhead is like torture.

I am playing in the Blackmoor Bowl this year (handicap ballot permitting), and look forward to what is likely to be a tricky setup.

On another note, it was sad to see your greens struggling so much. I think there was an issue with irrigation systems which caused the problems, but the 9th was looking particularly sad ?
Approx 2 years ago, I would say Blackmoor had better greens than Hindhead that summer (and about as fast) but in recent times they’ve always seemed slower and a bit patchy.
They were stunning up to about three weeks. The greenkeeper put an agent down that was supposed to make them firmer and quicker, but the watering system breaking down over a weekend, and the extreme heat at the time has turned them black in places. Greenkeepers are working hard on them now and they should be much better later in the summer. Fingers crossed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Matt Fitzpatrick turned up yesterday ( I can only assume at the Pete Cowan academy) with the trophy. Had a few photos taken with a guy I have had a few lessons with. There’s other photos and when you see them. Flipping eck it makes you realise the history in who has won that.

Attachments

• 0B78B249-D07A-4055-9D1A-231D097CFD45.jpeg
    0B78B249-D07A-4055-9D1A-231D097CFD45.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 10