US Open

Swango1980

Visit site
He’s just full of bull$hit at times, over eggs lots of commentary like trying to dramatise a 3 foot putt ?
I think commentators do that in most sports. I think it is part of their job description, build something up to try and excite the fans. Then, if a player pulls off the "impossible", you can praise them with God like descriptions. Bit like in F1, where Brundle will get all excited because one driver is catching another at 0.5 seconds a lap. Even though you know laps are running out, and it is highly unlikely anything will come of it. However, having watched 80 minutes of dull racing, you can tell the commentators are desperately trying to keep us engaged.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I felt a little sorry for Laura Davies who was stood alongside Doherty and McGinley and then Doherty and Riley at the end of the event and she was barely invited to speak until quite late. I'm frankly far from her biggest fan and dislike her commentary, but it was a little awkward viewing seeing her stood there silent.
I was just happy the winning score was only -6, not stupid low, and it was back and forth right to the end. Should play Brookline more often!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
260 reasons to say congratulations to Matt on being a major winner
Will treat the kids.
Great tournament,loved the course and we never knew who won right till the end.
Scheffler is going to be a multi major winner his game is that good.
Get on Matt to win the masters within 2 years.
Well done Billy also,seem a great partnership.
That shot from the bunker was epic,some players might have been there 5 minutes.

i*windows

Visit site
Chuffed for Fitz, great win, played stellar golf and seems like a really decent bloke. Pleased too for Billy who I should imagine is propping a bar up somewhere in Boston :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just received the Monday GolfWRX email and all seems fine with the result.
Apparently Matt has been utilising Dr Sasho MacKenzie's 'Stack' biomechanics system. I remember his name from shaft/swing discussions in the old (Todd and Dtown) BombSquadGolf days. He's now, as well as being a Professor of Sports Biomechanics at a University, a consultant at Ping. That'll almost certainly be a significant part of the reason for his distance improvement.
I'm another who is chuffed for BF finally getting a Major win. Even my old occasional drinking 'mate' the late Edinburgh Jimmy described him (at least I think so!:rolleyes:) as unlucky not to have won a Major. Apparently an excellent after-dinner speaker too, with plenty of great and amusing stories.
Nice to see a Bettinardi Putter win too - even if with Yes style grooves.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I felt a little sorry for Laura Davies who was stood alongside Doherty and McGinley and then Doherty and Riley at the end of the event and she was barely invited to speak until quite late. I'm frankly far from her biggest fan and dislike her commentary, but it was a little awkward viewing seeing her stood there silent.
I was just happy the winning score was only -6, not stupid low, and it was back and forth right to the end. Should play Brookline more often!

Yes I thought that as well she looked embarrassed, Bit rude of Doherty to not let her speak more instead of letting Mcginley prattle on.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
In his defence he hasn't added distance at the cost of accuracy. He hasn't gone bomb and gouge. As others have posted previously he was just that little bit short, leaving too long a club in at the big courses they play in the US. He had to add a little distance to really compete. He hasn't gone full Bryson.

What did surprise me a little, just seen the last hole played now, is that he tapped in to finish the hole on 18 when Zalatoris had a long putt still. Normally they wait to get 'the moment ' and putt to win a major.

Didn't surprise me. At that stage it was a like a matchplay situation, in respect of "you or me."
He put that last one in so that he's saying to Will . "Now you NEED your putt"
I know his tap in was a cert and he could have waited, but I think there was a bit of psychology there.?

In any event, it was a brilliant last day, and a pity there had to be a loser between them. I like Z and I'm sure his time will come. He's a cracking player.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Just goes to show what extra distance off the tee does for your game....

SG Off the Tee

2020 - 59th
2021 - 16th
2022 - 10th

I really like how he gone about it, indeed at a casual glance it's not much different to how it was several years ago and it's not cost him any accuracy.

Driving Accuracy % (Tour average is 61%)

2019 = 66%
2020 = 64.58%
2021 = 68.37%
2022 = 64.88%

Last edited:
Visit site
I knew that Matt Fitzpatrick won the Selborne Salver at Blackmoor in 2012… I just found out that he shot 63/70 to win.

I played Blackmoor last week, and shot 70…

So yes, I have equalled the US Open winners score on the only course that we have both played ?

Have a small feeling that the course setup last Wednesday PM was probably somewhat easier than Salver Sunday, he was also a child at the time, but let’s not let that get in the way of my pride ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I knew that Matt Fitzpatrick won the Selborne Salver at Blackmoor in 2012… I just found out that he shot 63/70 to win.

So yes, I have equalled the US Open winners score on the only course that we have both played ?

Have a small feeling that the course setup last Wednesday PM was probably somewhat easier than Salver Sunday, he was also a child at the time, but let’s not let that get in the way of my pride ?
After a few beers you will be telling this story as though it happened last year and you were in the same group :ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
He put that last one in so that he's saying to Will . "Now you NEED your putt"
I know his tap in was a cert and he could have waited, but I think there was a bit of psychology there.?

No question. He wanted to hole it to take the pressure off himself and put it on to Zalatoris. But then he paused because he realised that didn't fit with the tradition of the winner holing the final putt. You could see him looking around and then he shot a look at his caddy, obviously Billy Foster said something, and then he tapped it in.

Personally, I think it would have been a much better moment to mark it and then sink the definitive winning putt. But I totally understand why he didn't wait!

sunshine

Visit site

Thanks for sharing (y)

I'll save everyone else 5 minutes as the relevant bit is:

"We went to see Sasho Mackenzie [a biomechanist] on a consultancy basis, which would always be categorised as a risk but we did not change Matt’s pattern. We were just trying to speed up his existing pattern without changing his golf swing. Matt is really fast in terms of rotation but he hasn’t got much leverage. One of the areas he could have gone down, although I don’t think you’d have heard about him again, was adding more lateral movement but we decided against that. He has done it with a combination of gym training with Matt Roberts and Sasho in the background with his weights [fixed to the end of a practice stick called ‘The Stack]."

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

We have a comp the day after the Selboune Salver, and I have stopped playing in it as the course is so difficult. Horrible pin positions and greens that are really quick after being rolled. Andy Sullivan did shot a course record 60 when he won it. ?