US Open qualifying Walton Heath 27 May

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a game, but the US Open qualifying is at Walton Heath on the 27th May. It is a bank Holiday Monday.

It is a great day out, 36 holes, and costs nothing to watch. There wasn't even a carpark charge last year. Players outside the worlds top 50 play, and last year I watched Olly and Chris Wood in the morning, and Monty and JM Singh in the afternoon.

There are no ropes so you can get up close to all the players (not too close in Monty's case) Walton Heath is a great course for watching, very few trees, fairly flat, and all the holes are close together. There are food vans, drinks etc.

I will definitely be going so if anyone else fancies it, let me know and we could meet up.

Rich

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has it been on the bank holiday before ?

Just curious as to how busy it might be.

Watching pros in the flesh is a thought provoking experience

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll be hoping to join you mate. Looks like I will only have to bring a picnic for two!!
Imagine a few from my Club will be going Steve, so make sure you pack plenty of food and drink !!

Has it been on the bank holiday before ?

Just curious as to how busy it might be.

Watching pros in the flesh is a thought provoking experience

Not sure to be honest. It is always a Monday, but I think it was a working day last time. Last year Monty had the biggest crowd of approximately 100 spectators. Some groups had nobody watching so you can get up nice and close.:thup:

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Also, there is the International Final Qualifying for The Open Championship on Monday June 24th at Sunningdale. Exactly the same format as Walton Heath

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, there is the International Final Qualifying for The Open Championship on Monday June 24th at Sunningdale. Exactly the same format as Walton Heath

I have been meaning to get to this for years but other things keep getting in the way. Hoping I can get there this year.

V

vkurup

Walton Heath looks stunning.. Can we get a GM Forum meet there?

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is a definite maybe for me, we are going to Wentworth on the Friday so see what the weather is doing before making a final decision :thup:

Rach.wills

Visit site
It's worth it definitely! Even if you pop over for a couple of hours, there are some great spots where both courses cross so you can see 2 greens and tees. I'll be marshaling from 6.30 please make my job worthwhile!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might pop in for a few hours from dropping the kids off at the grandparents - is it popssible to just rock up about midday or do you have to be there first thing?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I might pop in for a few hours from dropping the kids off at the grandparents - is it popssible to just rock up about midday or do you have to be there first thing?
You can turn up at any time. It goes on quite late, as there is usually a play off, and it is 36 holes.

Rach.wills

Visit site

You can turn up whenever, it's 36 holes and starting from around 6.30. there will be people to tell you where to park and then you can decide where you want to watch from or which group you want to follow if you can find them.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
It's worth it definitely! Even if you pop over for a couple of hours, there are some great spots where both courses cross so you can see 2 greens and tees. I'll be marshaling from 6.30 please make my job worthwhile!
If you let us know which group you are marshalling, we will come over and cause some trouble.;) Followed Ollie and Chris Wood in the morning last year, and Monty and JM Singh in the afternoon. Think this year I will not walk so much and find a good spot to watch from. I take it you are a member at Walton heath ?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks both, I will drop in for a few hours then.

Is there a competitor list/ start times publised anywhere - couldn't see one online (it really flies under the radar)!

Rach.wills

Visit site
If you let us know which group you are marshalling, we will come over and cause some trouble.;) Followed Ollie and Chris Wood in the morning last year, and Monty and JM Singh in the afternoon. Think this year I will not walk so much and find a good spot to watch from. I take it you are a member at Walton heath ?

Cheers for that haha.
If you get out to the 5th tee on the new course you have:
14th tee Old
13th green old
13th green new
obviously 5th tee
and you can vaguely see 14th tee new and 4th green.

Good spot I'd say but it depends whose coming round and what time you are there.
Happy Spectating :)