US Open Pairings.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As you might know, Tiger and Phil have been drawn together for the first two rounds of the US Open next weekend along with Adam Scott.
I was wondering how this would affect them, and would it have an affect on how they play.
I think it's going to go one of two ways, ie they'll inspire/motivate each other and both will end up miles clear of the field after two rounds, or one will dominate the other and it adversely affect the score of the other.
(I can't see both of them having a bad time of it.)

On the other side of the coin, there is also an "all British" (English) group consisting of Donald, Casey and Poulter. I fell this is a good thing for these guys as I think they will encourage each other and I think it would be a good bet that these three guys will at least make the cut.

Any thoughts on the draw in general?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I read this last night and was going to mention the all British group. Defo a good thing, will be great to watch but maybe also a bit of 'team spirit' on away soil?

Some of the other pairings look great too, only thing that bothers me is the fact that the US broadcasters will prob only show Tiger and Phil and we'll prob only see Donald, Casey and Poults in the background!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the groupings are brilliant, there should be some superb golf on offer regardless of who the cameras follow. If they stick with woods and gang I have no problem with that, they are 3 great players. You look at other pairings as well VJ, Stewart Cink and sergio - Choi, Furyk and Stricker - Goosen, Verplank and Araon Baddely - Cabrera, Harrington and Davis love III. I really would find it hard to decide who to follow if I was at the event. Either way the golf looks good and I can't wait. Let's hope it lives up to the expectation.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed Eagle, who ever we are watching it should be a treat, But I just hope we get to see more than one group!

I have a feeling british players coverage might be minimal! Hope am wrong.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The pairings are great in theory but are going to be a logistical nightmare. Imagine you are in the group in front of Woods. As you are on the green all you will have behind is a stampede of peole trying to get a vantage point for the approach shots. As you get on the next tee everyone will be rushing across to get prime spot by the tee. Not good

I understand why the USPAGA have done it but don't agree with it. Nonetheless it will make for great viewing and I think will help Mickleson and Scott more. If they can score as well or better than Tiger going into the weekend I think it will give them great momentum. I think the winner will come out of that group.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
All the pressure (and coverage) will hit the big names. I expect a winner from left field, who is playing with Jonny no-one, and isn't seen on TV til the weekend. No specators, no distractions, no tv, the guy will have the course to himself.