Urban Golf - soho

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Myself and 2 guys I work with just went to Urban Golf soho as they have a deal on for 1 hour of simulator time plus a small burger and fries for £12.50 pp , we then tagged on an additional hour for an extra £20

We did the back 9 of TPC Sawgrass and the front 9 of Pebble beach.

The equipment was a few years old - Titliest 910 D2 driver and then a selection of Taylormade burner irons and woods, grips were ok.

Initially it was very fun, although we found it difficult to actually see where we were aiming. I'm not convinced the accuracy was completely correct as the ball seem to go off 2-3 feet from where it was actually being hit and one of the guys was hitting a 5 wood with 240 yards of carry (which he doesn't in real life get anywhere near), but it was fun none the less.

I was wondering if it could become a "regular" thing (maybe a couple of times per month), but to be honest I dont think I'd learn much apart from keeping my swing feeling.

Anyone else done it before and what did you think of it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I went there once, probably about 5 years ago, but it was on a work do so they just had it set up as a long drive thing, plus some of the screens were set up with a racing car simulation instead. £12.50 an hour seems ok, £20 seems a bit steep to make it a regular activity though. Maybe something to do on a birthday night before going for a couple of drinks.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit 3 balls on a simulator at a nearby club recently, a par 3 hole. I thought I hit all 3 really well. 2 were 25yds to the left of the green, one was centre of the green. I thought all felt the same and hit the net in front in the same place :(. I tried to indicate it was not calibrated correctly but the man in charge just gave me 'the look', ha ha. I think I would need longer to get a handle on it in terms of aiming as I clearly failed that time.

Seems like fun and I may end up having a go in Florida next week when the inevitable afternoon thunderstorms come down. Any tips?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
been to one of these type Bar's in Glasgow. it was Ok but the putting was next to impossible TBH.

i wouldn't bother again myself

D

Deleted member 18121

Any tips?

1. Set the putting up to do gimmes within 9 or 10 feet.....we had it setup to 6 feet and to be honest it just wasn't worth it.

2. take an extra club as things didn't fly true to life for me

3. Dont take it too seriously, it wasnt accurate enough to worry about being good on the courses.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I went. We spent 150 on beer between 4 of us. By the time I left, I couldn't stand up. I have no recollection what the golf was like.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went during a stag do, good fun with the lads and a barrel of beer. I guess if you're in central London and fancy keeping the swing going it's an option, not so sure I'd put much stock in the accuracy etc they provide, they aren't exactly Trackmans they're using. Good fun in the right circumstances.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Used to love the one in Birmingham, particularly in winter, and always thought they picked up shots relatively well i.e. mapped distances and the fact I hit a high fade.

Takes a little bit of time to get used to short game but very playable apart from accepting you weren't going to hit it through a tree. Valderamma was not an easy course to play!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been to UG a couple of times - I've enjoyed it socially with non golfing friends, but I do think they need to invest in the place, maybe get a manufacturer deal - grips on the old clubs were awful in my opinion. personally, I'd recommend Pitch London instead - though it's a little more serious than Urban golf.

D

Deleted member 16999

We’ve just had an extension built onto the Club and a simulator fitted, as well as being able to book it for normal stuff, we are doing specials during the winter, one example is, 4 ball for 3 hours on anyone of over 100,000 courses worldwide, 3 drinks per person plus food for £100.00.
Already had a few bookings for September, putting set to auto so everyone gets a 2 putt on the green.
Also looking at winter league and winter matchplay comp.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
Simulator golf is what it is, it will never be as good as playing for real but when you can't get out because of weather or time restrictions it's better than nothing. Every simulator I have used will at some point have you scratching your head and saying no way, if a system is setup correctly though these should not be the norm and I just take a mulligan on obvious ones like a 500+ yard drive( I know that is normal for most on here but not for me I max out at 350:D)
I think Urban Golf use "About golf" simulators, these do need tweaking and regular maintenance and also marked balls for accuracy, did you notice if the balls were marked?

Also people without even realising can swing differently indoors, the more you use them and get used to the "indoor swing phenomenon", the better results you get.

D

Deleted member 18121

yeah, half of each ball had black marker pen lines