Upgrading my irons - a priority?

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
I started playing golf again 2 years ago after a break of at least 15 years. At that point I had a random set of irons I'd acquired mainly second hand from all sorts of people and places. At that point I wasn't sure that Golf was going to become the hobby/love/obsession that it has....but I felt I should get a "proper" set of irons. I bought a second-hand set of Skymax Solar Graphite-shafted irons from the Club I play at, for practically nothing. They have been perfectly adequate while I've been re-learning the game.

But over the last 2 years I have bought a decent Ping putter and a good Titleist Driver, 3-wood and hybrid. I'm just wondering...now that my game is improving and my swing is more established is it time to buy a "good" set of irons?

My game has improved but I wonder if (for me) my handicap will actually improve fastest by lots more putting and short-game practice. Do I really need to upgrade those irons? Can they make a big difference or (for me) might they just be a nice-to-have rather than essential?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep time to upgrade them! Could do so for as little as £100 or £150 for a second hand set on ebay, plenty of good GI sets from main manufacturers at that price point. Expect youll migrate to steel shafts which may take you a little time to get used to but other wise should be able to find a decent improvement on what youve got

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think if you try a few different irons then you will see a difference. I just got fitted and although I have only used my new irons at the range compared to my old irons they were so much better. Using the 7iron with old ones I hit average of 144yrds and with the new ones I was hitting 173yrds average and my grouping was 10 times better. You can go to your local golf shop if they have a driving range ask to use some second hand clubs they have forsale. It will be down to how you feel pal. Good luck

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You will have to remember that modern irons are quite often 2-3 degrees less loft and longer shafts, that's probably the reason for the increase in distance, but making it a pig to gap wedge( try finding a left handed 49* wedge).
Yes time for a change but try different makes before you buy, don't just go on hype
Cheers

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You will have to remember that modern irons are quite often 2-3 degrees less loft and longer shafts, that's probably the reason for the increase in distance, but making it a pig to gap wedge( try finding a left handed 49* wedge).
Yes time for a change but try different makes before you buy, don't just go on hype
Cheers

48.5* if you're prepared to use old clubs (great wedges). I think the original eye 2 wedge was 50.5*
Back to your main point though. Yes, you are correct. My 7 Iron (eye 2+) is 35*, same loft as my neighbours 8 iron! (G30)

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
48.5* if you're prepared to use old clubs (great wedges). I think the original eye 2 wedge was 50.5*
Back to your main point though. Yes, you are correct. My 7 Iron (eye 2+) is 35*, same loft as my neighbours 8 iron! (G30)
Cheers Craigg, must look around for one of these

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement :) The pro at my club is going to fix me up a flightscope session....I *think* I know what that means....I guess I'll find out soon!