Unplayable

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of our temporary greens are located just off the fringe at the front of the main greens, can a local rule be put in place to incorporate the main green into the temporary green in some way, so that it is not the 'wrong green'?

I have never seen anyone else take relief in this situation, I think I am the only player in the whole of the club that moves the ball off the 'wrong green', which can be a huge disadvantage!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of our temporary greens are located just off the fringe at the front of the main greens, can a local rule be put in place to incorporate the main green into the temporary green in some way, so that it is not the 'wrong green'?
Yes. The committee have the option of defining an area as a putting green.
See the definition of a Putting Green.

Extract:

The area on the hole the player is playing that:
The edge of a putting green is defined ..... by using a line or dots.

salfordlad

Visit site

I have never seen anyone else take relief in this situation, I think I am the only player in the whole of the club that moves the ball off the 'wrong green', which can be a huge disadvantage!
Another possible solution - the Committee may use Dropping Zones if there are practical problems with taking relief from a wrong green.

YandaB

Visit site
I'd like to ask a question that came to me after seeing the OP and answers to that. I understand that in the OP situation the loose impediments could not be moved but if they could... I understand that there is a 1 shot penalty for moving the ball whilst moving the loose impediment, but
A) do I have to put the loose impediment back?
B) if I don't have to put stuff back, is it just one penalty if I clear the whole area? 🤔

salfordlad

Visit site
I'd like to ask a question that came to me after seeing the OP and answers to that. I understand that in the OP situation the loose impediments could not be moved but if they could... I understand that there is a 1 shot penalty for moving the ball whilst moving the loose impediment, but
A) do I have to put the loose impediment back?
B) if I don't have to put stuff back, is it just one penalty if I clear the whole area? 🤔
This is Rule 15.1.
A. No.
B. This question has an interesting history. Not too long back, at least one of the RBs was answering this as yes. But that answer has been reversed and the constraint in the first bullet point of 15.1a Exception 1 has been affirmed to apply - a player must not deliberately remove a loose impediment that, if moved before the ball was lifted or moved, would have been likely to have caused the ball to move. Doing so would get a further one stroke penalty in the situation you raise.