UK prisons - anyone got experience of visiting etc?

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So Sorry to hear this. It does make me quite ashamed of authority, I am not condoning violence but we train these lads in combat and put them in a life threatening environment to defend our freedom. Then we expect them to come home and act like odinary Joe with endless tollerance and think they can switch off all the training and turn the other cheek, It just doesn't happen!!!!. Special consideration should have been given certainally not a custodial sentence..... So sad how we turn on our heros shame on authority.

:clap: Well said sir!

private2017

Visit site
I know this is an old thread but my Dad remembered it and told me to read it.

I am in nearly the exact same situation as the OPs nephew. I'm in the army (for now) and am charged with GBH. It's been hanging over me for a few months now and in some ways I just want to get this over with but am worried too. I feel very bad for what I did and what it has done to my family. I do have a previous conviction for assault and I just about managed to stay in the Army after that so I know i will be going to prison - just depends for how long.

I've read the advice on here and it makes sense.

I don't know if the UP is still around or would want to say but am just wondering how things went for their nephew. he must be out of prison by now. Did he get a hard time for being a ex soldier in prison? Was there much trouble between different groups in prison? Did he get moved closer to home? What type of courses or training did he get todo? and how things worked out after prison.

Would be great to get any advice as his situations thenseems so like mine now.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you do prison time, try and find out if there is a SSAFA Prison outreach worker who visits where ever you end up. I presume you have or are expecting discharge and they should be able to give you some practicable advice.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but my Dad remembered it and told me to read it.

I am in nearly the exact same situation as the OPs nephew. I'm in the army (for now) and am charged with GBH. It's been hanging over me for a few months now and in some ways I just want to get this over with but am worried too. I feel very bad for what I did and what it has done to my family. I do have a previous conviction for assault and I just about managed to stay in the Army after that so I know i will be going to prison - just depends for how long.

I've read the advice on here and it makes sense.

I don't know if the UP is still around or would want to say but am just wondering how things went for their nephew. he must be out of prison by now. Did he get a hard time for being a ex soldier in prison? Was there much trouble between different groups in prison? Did he get moved closer to home? What type of courses or training did he get todo? and how things worked out after prison.

Would be great to get any advice as his situations thenseems so like mine now.

Sorry to hear about your current plight but there is light at the end of the tunnel. My nephew treated prison like basic training - got his head down, did the work and stayed out of trouble. He didn't get a hard time for being ex military - quute the opposite really. He quite quickly got a place on the "clean wing" (who'd have thought that was a thing) and had a blemish-free prison record which isn't easy thing as being a bit bolshy to a guard can get a black mark. He did a few courses - main one being anger-management. He also helped out in classes for those inmates who couldn't read and write.

Basically he made sure prison would be something that wouldn't break him and, in his words, he was determined to "smash it". He came out on tag early and has never looked back. Worked hard at every opportunity he was given - even working for DHL for free for a week to prove himself. He's now working as a quality auditor for a mast/rigging company and doing really well.

I'm sure he'd happily make contact with you and advise as best as he can. If you want to send me a message I'll put you in touch.

PS. He's doing a 24 hour gym bike (non-stop) in December for Combat Stress.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your current plight but there is light at the end of the tunnel. My nephew treated prison like basic training - got his head down, did the work and stayed out of trouble. He didn't get a hard time for being ex military - quute the opposite really. He quite quickly got a place on the "clean wing" (who'd have thought that was a thing) and had a blemish-free prison record which isn't easy thing as being a bit bolshy to a guard can get a black mark. He did a few courses - main one being anger-management. He also helped out in classes for those inmates who couldn't read and write.

Basically he made sure prison would be something that wouldn't break him and, in his words, he was determined to "smash it". He came out on tag early and has never looked back. Worked hard at every opportunity he was given - even working for DHL for free for a week to prove himself. He's now working as a quality auditor for a mast/rigging company and doing really well.

I'm sure he'd happily make contact with you and advise as best as he can. If you want to send me a message I'll put you in touch.

Chuffed to bits he came out of it unscathed and learned from it. I say learned from it, because my son was a prison officer at one time. He mentioned how a lot of prison time is spent on rehabilitation and education re not re offending. Some respond well and others are quite happy to just reoffend.

private2017

Visit site
If you do prison time, try and find out if there is a SSAFA Prison outreach worker who visits where ever you end up. I presume you have or are expecting discharge and they should be able to give you some practicable advice.

Thanks. Yeah I expect to be discharged at the end of this.

Thanks for replying - didn't know if you would. He seems to have done everything right in there and made the best of it. In some ways prison is probably a bit easier if you have been in the Army and used o following rules and taking orders but I thought there might be some problems from other prisoners especially if you served abroad. Suppose it is a good way to look at it as being back in basic training. I'd be the same I would prefer to be doing work or courses than stuck in a cell all day.

I didn't know you could get tag for GBH so that is good news.

He seems to have done brilliant since getting out. Fair play to him you always hear about people reoffending. It must have been hard for him getting a good job like that with a prison record - he probably had to work harder than anybody else to prove himself.

I will send you a PM. Thanks.

U

User62651

Quite a sobering read this whole thread, can you say from the original 30 months sentence what did your nephew end up serving? Was it reduced?

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very interesting read as Maxfli has said. A very close friend of mine got sentenced to 18 months when he was 20 for aggravated assault and its done him a world of good, steady job and relationship never touched alcohol or drugs since. Another lad I went to school with got 7 years, did 4 came out and was back in within 6 months. Its incredible how the tales can be so different with 2 lads of a very similar background and family structure (knowing them both and their families very well for over 15 years).

Glad to hear things have gone well with your Nephew Amanda and hopefully Private2017 will be able to learn from him and come out stronger on the other side.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thanks - plan to. Don't ever want to be in this f""ked up situation again.
Hopefully once you’re out you’ll have somewhere to live and someone waiting for you, if you find yourself struggling don’t be afraid to ask for help, whether be mental or material things.
You’ve served your Country and things like The RBL are there for you.
I do casework in the NE and have helped a couple of guys who have struggled with a place to live and to cope financially upon release, don’t be afraid.

private2017

Visit site
Hopefully once you’re out you’ll have somewhere to live and someone waiting for you, if you find yourself struggling don’t be afraid to ask for help, whether be mental or material things.
You’ve served your Country and things like The RBL are there for you.
I do casework in the NE and have helped a couple of guys who have struggled with a place to live and to cope financially upon release, don’t be afraid.

Thanks. Yeah I'm lucky I'm still close with my family and after a bit they are supportive of me and say I can move back home afterwards. I've even talked to them about would they let me home if I got tag like the OPs nephew (not sure if I would get that). I have 2 younger brothers - both still at school - and am close to them too. They've all said they will visit me in prison so having that support really helps,

I will ask if I need help after this. That's great work that you do. I think there is an extra shame in going to prison if you have served in the military - changing your Army uniform to a prison uniform - but at leasy when you get out there is a chance of support if you have nobody else.

private2017

Visit site
Just thought I'd let you know what happened. I got sentenced to 15 months in December. I did 5 months and just got out and am tagged and on curfew for another 2.5 months and then the last 7.5 months on license.

First month was hard especially being there coming up to Christmas but after that I got used to it and things got better. It's great being out and hopefully I'll never end up back in prison again.

I can get on with my life now and hope thing will get back to normal. Lucky my uncle has a garage and I am starting to work there next week while I'm looking for something else.

U

User62651

Just thought I'd let you know what happened. I got sentenced to 15 months in December. I did 5 months and just got out and am tagged and on curfew for another 2.5 months and then the last 7.5 months on license.

First month was hard especially being there coming up to Christmas but after that I got used to it and things got better. It's great being out and hopefully I'll never end up back in prison again.

I can get on with my life now and hope thing will get back to normal. Lucky my uncle has a garage and I am starting to work there next week while I'm looking for something else.

Sorry to hear you had to do time, however sounds like you've got your head straight with a good positive outlook going forward. Tough experience I'm sure. Good luck to you.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hope it all works out for you mate.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Best of luck

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Good luck. You can put this behind you and move on for sure. My nephew is doing really well in his career as a telephone mast rigger/checker.