Tyre help please 👃

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The car I got last year needs 4 new tyres (4wd). They are currently run flats. There is no spare or space for a spare. I would like a cross climate type tyre but am struggling to find a reasonable run flat variant, I am considering a regular tyre and can of foam, has anyone else taken this route? It should be noted that I drive around on back roads and play avoid the pothole a lot, also the winters here are harsh.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The car I got last year needs 4 new tyres (4wd). They are currently run flats. There is no spare or space for a spare. I would like a cross climate type tyre but am struggling to find a reasonable run flat variant, I am considering a regular tyre and can of foam, has anyone else taken this route? It should be noted that I drive around on back roads and play avoid the pothole a lot, also the winters here are harsh.

Majority of cars today run in this way, can always have a couple of cans of foam about.

Long as you got break down cover worst case you will be covered

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing to warn you about cans of foam is to make sure you have the water based ones. If you use the latex based ones the tyre cannot be repaired according to what I have read before, the tyre repairers cannot get the latex off the tyre.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a Mini Cooper S with run flats. On smooth flat roads, excellent. Except that's only 1% of UK roads. Anything resembling a crisp packet or worse on the road, then check-in for new fillings afterwards.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have run-flats on my BMW 520M and must say I have never had any issues with them either with performance or handling. Extremely quiet, and excellent wet driving. 50k miles covered and only on my second set.

RichA

Visit site
I also have run flats on a BMW 5-series but have had problems.
It's difficult when nobody has the right size in stock, garages can't/won't repair punctures and you're miles from home at night or at the weekend.
I'll be ditching them for conventional tyres and a couple of cans of goo next time they need replacing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's difficult when nobody has the right size in stock, garages can't/won't repair punctures and you're miles from home at night or at the weekend.
I'll be ditching them for conventional tyres and a couple of cans of goo next time they need replacing.

Run flats do seem to be the solution to a problem that nobody had, they can't be repaired (like the cans). They only work if the puncture is on the middle thread much like the cans and their expensive

Cans seem a much more practical way

Springveldt

Visit site

I've got run flats on my 335D XDrive, the last set lasted 33K before I put this set on the other month so hoping they last as long again. BMW recommends the run flats and changing all 4 at the same time for their XDrive cars, something to do with the transfer case can get messed up if the tyres have different tread depths and then it's going to cost thousands to fix.

Guess I've been lucky to not have a puncture in the last 5 years, hope I've not jinxed it now.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Get rid of the runflats, get a can of foam.

Don't worry about if the tyre can't be repaired. You shouldn't really get them repaired, they should be replaced.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Run flats do seem to be the solution to a problem that nobody had, they can't be repaired (like the cans). They only work if the puncture is on the middle thread much like the cans and their expensive

Cans seem a much more practical way
I've had a brilliant idea.
Cars could carry an extra wheel that can be swapped in for a punctured one.
But I guess it'll never catch on.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had a brilliant idea.
Cars could carry an extra wheel that can be swapped in for a punctured one.
But I guess it'll never catch on.

Guy at work had a spare in his car.. he got a flat

He couldn't get it off.. the gym going technical officers who repair the track.. couldn't get it off .. had to call out the AA

They said these days they fuse on with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts etc

The aa easily get them off with their machine

I tried to change my mum's tyre for her about 4 months ago.. it broke my socket attachment to my wrench , local tyre shop did it for me for £10

No use having an emergency spare that in an emergency doesnt service it's purpose anymore

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guy at work had a spare in his car.. he got a flat

He couldn't get it off.. the gym going technical officers who repair the track.. couldn't get it off .. had to call out the AA

They said these days they fuse on with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts etc

The aa easily get them off with their machine

I tried to change my mum's tyre for her about 4 months ago.. it broke my socket attachment to my wrench , local tyre shop did it for me for £10

No use having an emergency spare that in an emergency doesnt service it's purpose anymore
It does if you call out the AA.
Have spares in both cars from new, and are full size, even in the fiesta. 👍