Two players born 100 years apart

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw a tweet noting that Bernhard Langer has played in majors against players born 100 years apart. He played against Gene Sarazen (born 1902) in the 1976 Open Championship and Abel Gallegos (born 2002) in this year's Masters.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
What impressed me was the scores that both Langer and Mize attained at Augusta.
Both have lost length, of course, but Mize was reputedly 247 driver.
Just shows -brains mostly beats brawn.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

Getting a little giddy, Mize did miss the cut after all. But it clearly shows golf can be played to an excellent standard well in to later years.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Getting a little giddy, Mize did miss the cut after all. But it clearly shows golf can be played to an excellent standard well in to later years.
It's more experience as well I think, those guys have played Augusta 100 times. They must know every slope of every green and fairway by now.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Amazing stat! Can’t see that ever being equalled.

I actually had a search about to see what other opportunities there could be in terms of players spanning a 4 or 5 decade career.

Teenage protege's Garcia, Rory, Tiger, Spieth would all be in their 70s if they were going to match that record, given players who were in their early major fields.

It's not impossible, but with the way golf is going as a power game I think a lot of these guys will be done by the time they get even near Langer's age.

It's fair to say that Langer is genuinely an outlier as someone who remains dedicated to play as often as he does and to the standard he does. Ok, he'd get nowhere on the main tour over 30 events, but he can pop up at Augusta and put 4 incredibly tidy rounds together.

Perhaps we'll see some changes that will move golf back to a game of skill and accuracy, rather than power being so important. But I have my doubts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think that should Langer fancy another punt at the ET for a season he would still find a way to do enough to retain the card for the next season. Of course he doesn't need all of that travelling etc and can play the seniors tour picking and choosing where and when he wants. He has a marvellous physique, a superb swing and a very strong mind

D

Deleted member 18588

With the longevity of his career perhaps in 2075 someone will be able to say the same about playing with Langer himself in the field in the next few years and some teenage prodigy in 2075.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I think that should Langer fancy another punt at the ET for a season he would still find a way to do enough to retain the card for the next season. Of course he doesn't need all of that travelling etc and can play the seniors tour picking and choosing where and when he wants. He has a marvellous physique, a superb swing and a very strong mind

He's a lifetime European tour member.
The Champions tour racks up just as much mileage, Hawaii, Morroco, FLorida, California.. But yeah travel eh...:cautious:
I'd say the bigger thing is the CT is 3 rounds as opposed to 4 on the ET etc, 1 less round to play will make a big difference to these boys.

D

Deleted member 18588

On a similar note I seem to recollect
a point being made years ago about Sarazen himself having played in Majors with both Vardon and Faldo. 1920 US Open and 1976 Open.

And their Major winning careers covered 100 years from 1896 Open to 1996 Masters.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He's a lifetime European tour member.
The Champions tour racks up just as much mileage, Hawaii, Morroco, FLorida, California.. But yeah travel eh...:cautious:
I'd say the bigger thing is the CT is 3 rounds as opposed to 4 on the ET etc, 1 less round to play will make a big difference to these boys.

I know that. My point is that should he have the whim to do so he'd easily play well enough to earn enough money to rank high enough to secure playing rights had he been fresh onto the tour. It was a hypothetical suggestion

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I actually had a search about to see what other opportunities there could be in terms of players spanning a 4 or 5 decade career.

Teenage protege's Garcia, Rory, Tiger, Spieth would all be in their 70s if they were going to match that record, given players who were in their early major fields.

It's not impossible, but with the way golf is going as a power game I think a lot of these guys will be done by the time they get even near Langer's age.

It's fair to say that Langer is genuinely an outlier as someone who remains dedicated to play as often as he does and to the standard he does. Ok, he'd get nowhere on the main tour over 30 events, but he can pop up at Augusta and put 4 incredibly tidy rounds together.

Perhaps we'll see some changes that will move golf back to a game of skill and accuracy, rather than power being so important. But I have my doubts.

Edited to add that this isn't looking a spanning a 5 decade career but the original 100 stat.

Presumably because they stopped encouraging past champions who were no longer competitive to play the Masters at the start of the century. If you look at 2002 Masters, Doug Ford played born in 1922 as well as Sergio so if Sergio plays when he's 60 as a past champion (2040), then an 18 year old born in 2022 would take him to 100 years difference. Whether he makes the cut is a different matter but i could see him still playing if they go across to the champions tour.

I think that's the last generation who will have a chance on this unless the 14yr old amateur plays into his 60s and has success at the Masters.