Tweaking the Drive.

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok I know that I need lessons, but I just can't afford it at the moment, but I'm going over to Canada in January and my friend over there has played golf forever, so I'm going to work with him on the simulators over there.

Anyway, been tweaking my swing the past few weeks, working on areas I know I am failing on.

Take away.

I feel the club is twisting when I start my swing, I thought this may be down to my grip, but I was told to not grip the club too tightly. Is that correct?

Grip

I used to grip the club with my right thumb inline with the club, then my Dad noticed and said I should curl it around the club, this actually improved my flight and I was hitting the ball straighter and firmer. However, when I do hook it or slice it I notice that my thumb position has moved, and I'm guessing that is why. Is that correct?

Stance

I understand driving stance, with the ball inline with my left heel, my left hip tilted up slightly, and my forearms positioned at an angle so the club is face on to the ball. I no longer lift my left foot at all now, which leads me to believe that I can actually improve my swing without having to go to a lesson, but I do understand I need them.

One thing I have noticed recently is that I kind of bend my knees, then at the range I noticed some lad was straight and solid, and he was hitting a good ball.

Again, is that correct?

Distance

I know that its not always about distance, but when your on a par 5, a good long drive is a great start. On the range the balls are not going to go as far as on the course, but I'm reaching 220, which I'm guessing is not a bad return.

I feel like I am on the right road, importantly I know where I need to improve, and I feel I am doing, purpose of this thread is to confirm some of my own thoughts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Best advice if you want a definitive answer (well that may be stretching a point on here) is to stick a good video of you hitting a shot or two ideally down the line and face on. Plenty of good golfers and people with an idea of how the swing works who can give you some ideas and pointers

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Best advice if you want a definitive answer (well that may be stretching a point on here) is to stick a good video of you hitting a shot or two ideally down the line and face on. Plenty of good golfers and people with an idea of how the swing works who can give you some ideas and pointers

Yeah I did that around a month ago. I'll see if I can do it again tomorrow.