Turntable

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My keyboard on my phone keeps disappearing at tines??

Anyway, I would expect the stylus be ok, just going by what it says on the instructions and the gizmo I’ve got.

Hasn’t it got a switch to go from 33 to 45, what’s this ‘adjust the belt’ comment for different speed, I’ve not read anything about that!!

Most Pro-ject decks don't have rpm switches, the table mounted spindle for the belt will have a large and small belt wheel on it, you move the belt between the two for 33 and 45. With most older generation LPs being 33 rpm, you should be ok :p

The cart and stylus should have been set-up, if so don't adjust it, only the tracking force (if that wasn't pre-set). The wee tool is for if you change the cart if you so choose to do but it should be gapped correctly already.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Most Pro-ject decks don't have rpm switches, the table mounted spindle for the belt will have a large and small belt wheel on it, you move the belt between the two for 33 and 45. With most older generation LPs being 33 rpm, you should be ok :p

The cart and stylus should have been set-up, if so don't adjust it, only the tracking force (if that wasn't pre-set). The wee tool is for if you change the cart if you so choose to do but it should be gapped correctly already.

What’s a cart, is it horse power ?

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They appear to be sat on tables?
Quick tip I used to advise customers on to bring a decent improvement was to use squash balls cut in half and put 3 domes under each speaker. Even better, although I understand you not wanting to do it, is to put drawing pins spike side up into base of speaker at each corner - does a great job of isolating them as at the moment they are attempting to make your table vibrate as well.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
They appear to be sat on tables?
Quick tip I used to advise customers on to bring a decent improvement was to use squash balls cut in half and put 3 domes under each speaker. Even better, although I understand you not wanting to do it, is to put drawing pins spike side up into base of speaker at each corner - does a great job of isolating them as at the moment they are attempting to make your table vibrate as well.

The Q Acoustics come with rubber isolating feet they screw in to the base and act as absorption points.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The Q Acoustics come with rubber isolating feet they screw in to the base and act as absorption points.

Yes, and because they’re less than 200mm from the wall, I’ve put the foam plugs in the back, which can be adjusted by how far you push them in, and the sound is superb.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The old Pioneer turntable I bought for £25 a couple of years ago has a really good pickup attached which was a bonus, I'll check what it is when I've sobered up tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it is Denon though.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
This thread is taking me back to when HiFi was my leisure life. I finished up with the turntable (Thorens, poor mans Linn Sondeck) on a shelf created in a recess under the stairs, no attachment to the floor.
The special cables 1/2 inch diameter ran from there under the floorboards into the lounge where the Meridian power speakers sat on spiked stands.
Wonderful sound. Wife didn't say a lot , but strange looks at times!
Fortunately shift work and a detached house let me use "realistic" volume levels when she was out.
The previous years saw all sorts of items preceding those described above.
Be warned it can be an expensive and frustrating game if you get hooked?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, and because they’re less than 200mm from the wall, I’ve put the foam plugs in the back, which can be adjusted by how far you push them in, and the sound is superb.

I thought you might like them, enjoy re-listening to those old vinyl. I don't think it does 78rpm so some of your childhood LPs might not sound so good ??

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Cleaning today, so what’s the sp and best, or various methods/mixtures.

I’ve got the Knosti, what else and values please.

1F3399F2-6C72-4E17-9354-46CEBEB4EB9F.jpeg

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally, I just use an IPA, water and fairly liquid mixture in a spray bottle and a thick micro fibre (sometimes cotton wool balls to get righr in to the grooves) always get good results, even on records that 'look' clean.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Personally, I just use an IPA, water and fairly liquid mixture in a spray bottle and a thick micro fibre (sometimes cotton wool balls to get righr in to the grooves) always get good results, even on records that 'look' clean.

IPA as in my beer ??

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Use the knosti stuff for now, isopropyl alcohol can be ordered online or your chemist may have it. The fairy is there as a wetting agent, dishwasher liquid also works. If you want to do it properly order some anti static sleeves to put them in after cleaning.