Trouble with low Irons

pheel88

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I started playing about a year ago then had back problems so just getting back into it. I have been playing every weekend for the last three months and I am now playing once down the week as well.

I have improved my accuracy with my driver by slowing down my swing but I am having problems with my Irons. from 6-PW I am pretty consistant with getting the loft and the distance but with 3-5 I am struggling to connect with them properly consistantly. I normally connect well with 1 in 7 attempts. I think it is now becoming more a mental problem than a swing but is there anything I can do to improve it or is it just going down the driving range a lot and practising a lot?

I have also heard people talking about losing a 3 and 4 iron and getting hybrids instead. Is this an option if so why?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have also heard people talking about losing a 3 and 4 iron and getting hybrids instead. Is this an option if so why?

I use hybrid clubs. A lot of folk do. They are considered easier to hit successfully.

http://golf.about.com/cs/beginnersguide/a/hybridbeginners.htm

I have two. The 3 iron replacement lives in my bag permanently. I prefer a real 3 iron off a tee peg, but otherwise the rescue/hybrid wins hands down.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most players drop the 3 iron and exchange it for a rescue club as someone said easier to hit more consistently.A lot of companys sell sets from the 4 iron to the wedge as more and more players are using rescue clubs.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a mental thing for most, 6-pw is accuracy so we do not try to clobber the ball instead allow the loft of the club to do the work. 5-3 we see distance and try to hit them as far as possible so our swing gets fast and out of shape. Go to the range/practice ground and hit a few 8 irons remember the swing speed and tempo then replace it with a 5 and swing the same way you will see a marked improvement in your ball striking.Give it a go and see if it helps.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pop them on a tee peg to start with and try to hit them as softly and as sweetly as you can concentrating on the quality of the strike down the range/practise ground. You'll be amazed but with a slower SMOOTH tempo you will start hitting them far better. Don't even worry about shot shape etc to start with but quality of strike is key.

Practice swinging with a tea towel or similar tied to the hozel of a club and not hearing any crack from it throughout the entire swing is really good for learning to keep it smooth - the gradual acceleration actually develops more power than trying to hit the ball.

The above is always the start of my warm up drill down the range except I use a towel with a hole cut in the corner that just fits over the grip of the club and can slide all the way down to the club head.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Drop the 3 iron immediately and get a hybrid. Even some tour pros don't use them anymore. A hybrid will give you more forgiveness and more versatility out of the light rough where a long iron will get tangled in the grass.

It sounds as though you might be trying to help the ball into the air and not swinging through in the same way as the shorter irons. Teeing it up is a great tip to get you relaxed and hitting through correctly.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My set only came 5I - SW so I had to get a couple of hybrids to fill the gap from my 4W.

I picked up a new 20* for £35 and an exdemo 23* for £25.

Easiest clubs I've ever hit.

Trust me I'm a doctor.

Well I'm not, actually, but trust me anyway.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, and until today, I had a set 5-PW.

I filled in the gaps with a 3 rescue and a 4 iron.

I love them both.....so easy to use.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drop the 3 iron immediately and get a hybrid.

It took me a while to find the right hybrid, but I did eventually. Some of you will remember a forumer, Dave 4398 (or similar, I get confused) a good player and super chap, absolute diamond.

First game out, I used my 3H and every shot was a peach.....I could never do this with a 3 iron. Why make life difficult?

I love a real 3 iron and sometimes take one out because it's great for 2 par 3s at mine (off a tee peg), but a hybrid wins every time off the fairway/rough.

pheel88

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers guys that is a huge amount of help. I think I will start looking at investing in some hybrids if they are a bit more forgiving.

The other advice about slowing the swing down is helpful as well because the things you were pointing out about getting it out the bag and suddenly thinking "i have to get this 200 yards" is absolutly spot on. I think as well what drawboy said about panicking because they don't have as much loft so I end up trying to "lift" it more rather than trust the club.

It's obvious once people point it out isn't it. Thanks for all the comments guys.