Trivia Question - Oldest Course ?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a bit of fun.

Played the oldest course in the world which is still being played on today. Which is it?

No peeking at the internet now!

Clues:- It costs £10 to play.

It has hosted 6 Open Championships.

Oliver Cromwell once set up camp on it.

A local rule gives relief from hoof-prints!

B

birdieman

I reckon Musselburgh, have read about it. The Musselburgh race track takesin part of the course which would explain the hoof-prints. I have no idea about the Cromwell connection though.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spot on, Birdieman. It is the Old Course at Musselburgh Links

http://www.musselburgholdlinks.co.uk/index.html

Actually a lovely par 34 9-hole course which was well worth the small change to play. Had to hit a few errant shots from within the rails of the race-course but luckily not from any hoof-prints! It even has a par 5 and most of the holes are within the rails of the race-course. By no means a pitch and putt. One of the par 3's is nearly 230 yards!

Apparently Cromwell occupied Musselburgh for a couple of months in 1650, encamping his men on the Links prior to the Battle of Dunbar.

Has a fascinating history particularly re the former clubs who played there before the course got too busy and who moved away to new courses, e.g the Honourable Company, who moved to Muirfield.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would play it with wooden sticks but please let me keep my Pro V1.

Give me 2 weeks notice and I will come along with you. You could try and play it in plus 4's and shirt and tie along with tight waistecoat.

oasis90

Hacker
Visit site
I'd like to throw a bit of my own opinion in here. I was always of the opinon that the original Royal Blackheath on the old heath was the worlds first recognised golf course. Although the original course is not on the heath anymore, the club has moved to New Eltham and still remains the worlds' oldest and first established golf club or society. Upon entrance to the club the sign at the front gate reads 'Royal Blackheath Golf Club est. 1667'. The museum that can be found within the clubhouse suggests that the course may have pre dated even 1667. Yet, on the other hand, it's still fair to say that Musselburgh may well be the oldest existing golf course, but it is possibly not the worlds' oldest golf club....

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think there's any question that the Old Course at Musselburgh is the oldest course (rather than club) still being played today. Mary Queen of Scots is said to have played it in 1567 and there is a clear record of James VI playing it in 1603, long before Royal Blackheath was formed. There's much dispute and a lack of written record about RB apparently http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/royal_blackheath_golf_club.htm

Leith Links is older but has long since fallen into disuse, although the rumour is that the local Council may be doing something about that soon.

Royal Blackheath is perhaps, though perhaps not, an older golf club than those which were formed relatively latterly (1730-1760's roughly) which played at Musselburgh though. Most of those moved away to other courses in the area in the late 1800's