Trident Ball Marker

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening has anyone brought / tried one of these?

£ 20 + seems a lot but if it does what it claims ?!?

Having done a forum search it seems to be legal to use in play as well, but couldn't see any feedback from anyone who'd brought one - there may be a reason for that !

Many thanks

GBC

Jason.H

Visit site
I have one of these. I used it briefly and then never bothered. To be honest it’s no better than a line on the ball. Even a line on the ball has to be aligned precisely and I did that by holding the putter up toward my target and check the line on the ball against that.
I’d save the money and prefer a line on the ball. In my 1st year back golfing I would say I’ve putted best without any markings on the ball.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one of these. I used it briefly and then never bothered. To be honest it’s no better than a line on the ball. Even a line on the ball has to be aligned precisely and I did that by holding the putter up toward my target and check the line on the ball against that.
I’d save the money and prefer a line on the ball. In my 1st year back golfing I would say I’ve putted best without any markings on the ball.

Same, bought one, marked a load of balls then decided I couldn’t be bothered with all that lining up the putt with the lines ?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks Jason, Beezerk looks like a faff, but we're all looking for that special something to save a stroke or two!

GBC

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a similar marker which had 4 prongs in different directions for slight line adjustments. It always felt a little awkward and was never effective. I stopped bothering after a month. An old mate have of mine has been struggling to sell his trident on eBay for the last year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Probably quicker than aimpoint but still a flaff.

Pick your line, put a stoke on it. Simples.

Golfers overcomplicate everything.

Reactions: AAC

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have toyed with the similar Dead Aim marker https://www.deadaim.co.uk/product-page/dead-aim-golf-ball-marker-with-pitch-fork

Similarly I have flip flopped between using it and not bothering, and in fairness I didn't use a line on my ball previously. However, one big advantage I would argue with this device, for those of you who use a line on the ball, is that you can put down the marker and chose your line by standing several feet/yards behind the marker, and then when you need to replace your ball, you already have decided on one of the prongs being the right line, making it far easier to align your ball.

I think its hard to align a line on a ball with the intended line as you are looking straight down when you replace the ball. Its easy to put it down and have the line off. Yes, you can stay back behind and re check, but having this tool makes it quicker and easier in my view. The video explains it far better than me, but like I said, personally I remain unsure whether a line actually helps me or not!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening has anyone brought / tried one of these?

£ 20 + seems a lot but if it does what it claims ?!?

Having done a forum search it seems to be legal to use in play as well, but couldn't see any feedback from anyone who'd brought one - there may be a reason for that !

Many thanks

GBC

Now edited as it has been pointed it depends on the size of the alignment aid

Reading the rues is better than relying on forums

4.3a/2 – When Use of Alignment Device Results in Breach

If a player places an “alignment device” (see definition in Equipment Rules) to show the line of play and then positions their ball based on the direction of that alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a.

For example, a player’s ball comes to rest on the putting green and the player marks the spot of their ball with an “alignment device.” When doing so, the alignment device is placed to show the line of play. If the player then lifts and replaces their ball (which includes rotating it) so that a marking on the ball is lined up with the alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a. (New)

Last edited:

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site

If a player places an “alignment device” (see definition in Equipment Rules) to show the line of play and then positions their ball based on the direction of that alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a.

For example, a player’s ball comes to rest on the putting green and the player marks the spot of their ball with an “alignment device.” When doing so, the alignment device is placed to show the line of play. If the player then lifts and replaces their ball (which includes rotating it) so that a marking on the ball is lined up with the alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a. (New)

Reading the rules is key, did see a previous thread where @Blue in Munich expanded on this point

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/thre...ball-marker-on-the-green.105139/#post-2174344

As I say if it was the miracle it claimed to be everyone would have one, or it'd be at least as popular as the 2 Ball putters etc...

Note to self more practice than evening googling on shot saving tips!

GBC

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I have toyed with the similar Dead Aim marker https://www.deadaim.co.uk/product-page/dead-aim-golf-ball-marker-with-pitch-fork

Similarly I have flip flopped between using it and not bothering, and in fairness I didn't use a line on my ball previously. However, one big advantage I would argue with this device, for those of you who use a line on the ball, is that you can put down the marker and chose your line by standing several feet/yards behind the marker, and then when you need to replace your ball, you already have decided on one of the prongs being the right line, making it far easier to align your ball.

I think its hard to align a line on a ball with the intended line as you are looking straight down when you replace the ball. Its easy to put it down and have the line off. Yes, you can stay back behind and re check, but having this tool makes it quicker and easier in my view. The video explains it far better than me, but like I said, personally I remain unsure whether a line actually helps me or not!!
Thats the one I have. Doesn’t work for me although I’d say my misses are tighter, my hits are less.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

this is a prime example of getting to the right bit though Jim and why I always grumble about the web of a journey you need to take to find out what is right.

This link suggests they are permitted for use.
https://www.randa.org/en/roe/the-rules-of-equipment/part-6-devices-and-other-equipment

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Sometimes this is the problem with remembering something in one book and not remembering to go the other.
That wasn’t the issue really as he R&A have a similar, if not identical wording to what you had put, in another section to the link I provided. Its probably an example to everyone to consider the whole book and not just one piece ?