Training aid - plane perfector.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think something like this would be a great help to me. Have a tendency to fan the club open.

I’m having lessons but feel this would really help bed in the change.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swing-Plane-Perfector-Golf-Training/dp/B00IPJ3MH6

However there is no way on gods earth I would pay nearly 200 sheets for a steel hinge.

Has anyone seen anything similar for less pennies?

Unfortunatky all my practice is limited to the range so I can’t just shove some alingment sticks in the ground.

Any help much appreciated.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it won't necessarily help with fanning the club open

True. I am (will be) using it in conjunction with my current lessons.

My whole take away has changed for the better.

Problem is that I can quite easily slip into old habits without realising. This would instantly show if it reoccurs

So this is not the ‘fix’ more just a tool to keep me in check

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
my friend made one.

he got a small plastic plant pot and 1/4 filled it with wet sand and pva glue on top to seal. he then Baught that green spongy /brittle stuff that people use for plant decorating and glued that into the pot. he then uses a tour stick and pushes it into the greeen stuff at desired angle.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my friend made one.

he got a small plastic plant pot and 1/4 filled it with wet sand and pva glue on top to seal. he then Baught that green spongy /brittle stuff that people use for plant decorating and glued that into the pot. he then uses a tour stick and pushes it into the greeen stuff at desired angle.

The oasis stuff I think it’s called?

Good shout.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're correct as confirmed by keen gardener Mrs Homer. Any florist or garden centre should sell oasis and it's relatively inexpensive so sounds like a Heath Robinson homemade version is the way to go. £180 notes seems excessively expensive

The price of some training aids is mind boggling.

Saw one today on eBay which is basically a slightly fancy replacement for the coat hanger drill. Which of course you can use a standard coat hanger for.

The ‘aid’ version was 80 quid!!!!!

I could buy a full wardrobe from that type of cash.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The price of some training aids is mind boggling.

Saw one today on eBay which is basically a slightly fancy replacement for the coat hanger drill. Which of course you can use a standard coat hanger for.

The ‘aid’ version was 80 quid!!!!!

I could buy a full wardrobe from that type of cash.

Your not wrong. However we golfers regularly seem ready to part with our cash for the next fix. I'm as guilty as anyone, but as you say some of these devices are silly money. As I've said before, I've had more than my share of gadgets, some of which do work, but most get used for a short time and then gather dust in a corner.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or....

For free...

Turn a range basket upside down and set a tour stick through the holes at the angle you require.

this ia dependant on the range basket.

the weight of the stick can tip them.
the basket can get in the way.
you can't get the exact angle you want

tried the basket many times at my place. its too much of a faff

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw this advertised somewhere but couldn't work out from the picture what it did. Is it simply for holding alignment sticks upright and at different angles?

If so that is ridiculous money

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this aid is quite useless. The notion of "swing plane" is mostly a myth. You can hit great shots with different swing planes. Check Mark Crossfield and Andrew Rice, they explain well why focussing on "plane" is a waste of time.

On the other hand, I think https://www.golfswingsystems.co.uk/product/eyeline-golf-speed-trap/ is a great training aid

Or this much, much cheaper alternative.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302654175561

Only issue I’d have with this is having to don a crash helmet when I’m retrieving the foam from the driving range....