Traditional golf coaching

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think tech has its place, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t want to avail yourself of what it has to offer.
Can teaching be done effectively without tech, absolutely, has been that way for many a year, but now tech is available, it can add to what has worked for years

Exactly, am I right in thinking ball flight laws were totally misunderstood before tech was invented?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly, am I right in thinking ball flight laws were totally misunderstood before tech was invented?

No.
One aspect changed with the introduction of high speed cameras.
Previously it was thought the ball set off in the direction of the swing path, the high speed cameras showed that the clubface direction had more influence on the starting direction.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tech certainly has its place - mainly because golfers who are a stubborn bunch who don't always believe what they are told. You can argue until you are blue in the face that you don't do a certain move in your downswing, but if the video shows you do............................

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ben Hogan - Modern Fundamentals, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player comic books influenced golfers post war.
Leslie King - Swing Factory influenced David Leadbetter.

Problem was they couldn't agree on anything.

Equipment changes made most of it largely redundant.
Only one way to look at it for me has to be bringing the club head back square to the ball and hitting the ball with the sweet spot.
Advanced players will shape the flight by playing draws and fades, but seldom have the skill to do both.

10 ways to hit the sweet spot every time for longer, straighter drives (golf.com)

evemccc

Visit site
I’ve just bought the Nick Faldo ‘A Swing for Life’ book that was praised on here a few weeks ago

I’m yet to receive it, but looking forward to reading - and hopefully understanding and replicated it

So, if I’m not scratch or better, this time next year, the book is clearly a load of rubbish ?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve just bought the Nick Faldo ‘A Swing for Life’ book that was praised on here a few weeks ago
It's dated.
It's based on Leslie King's book Swing Factory in which Leadbetter found his own interpretation.
Faldo can't do it himself now so no way is it a swing for life.
Dated by over 20 years.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was lucky enough to have a lesson from my friend, who coaches the Duke of York. He's an old school, Master Professional & just stood beside me, watching me trying to do what other pros have told me to do. No video, no Trackman but he had me hitting it better within a few minutes.

I imagine he’s been dropped as a client now ?? with any photos removed too ?

Last edited:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Following a recommendation, 4 weeks ago I had my first lesson with a new pro.
Interestingly he identified the same issues 2 other pros picked up on. However he gave me a drill with “Feel” to work on.
He also used a camera which the last didn’t. As they say a picture paints a thousand words. To actually see what you are doing makes a massive difference meaning you buy into it.
Feel and Real - totally different

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following a recommendation, 4 weeks ago I had my first lesson with a new pro.
Interestingly he identified the same issues 2 other pros picked up on. However he gave me a drill with “Feel” to work on.
He also used a camera which the last didn’t. As they say a picture paints a thousand words. To actually see what you are doing makes a massive difference meaning you buy into it.
Feel and Real - totally different
I have always found most golfers are quite shocked when they see their swing for the first time on video.
They imagine Ernie Els but get a huge shock at the reality.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Having had lessons on the two extremes, I’ve stuck with the guy who is using a video and is trying to keep it all simple.

I’ve an analytical mind and love the tech but lessons over the mechanics using scientific terms and all the tech, can sometimes bury the message.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always found most golfers are quite shocked when they see their swing for the first time on video.
They imagine Ernie Els but get a huge shock at the reality.

Aye, I remember going for a lesson once and the pro put me on a split screen to show me my swing in comparison to another. He put Justin Rose on the other screen for the comparison.

Forgot to thank him for that...??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My coach says he rarely uses video when coaching - especially beginners and where he is changing something significant, in fact he has not videoed me once. He wants me to focus on hitting the ball and does not want me addressing the ball with a picture of my swing in my head.

The only two photos he has taken for me are of me ‘in stance‘ and addressing the ball before and after his tweaks, so that I can see and convince myself of his tweaks. He only did this was because I was insistent that in my address position his tweaks felt and looked all wrong. The two photos proved to me that my perception was wrong.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My coach says he rarely uses video when coaching - especially beginners and where he is changing something significant, in fact he has not videoed me once. He wants me to focus on hitting the ball and does not want me addressing the ball with a picture of my swing in my head.

The only two photos he has taken for me are of me ‘in stance‘ and addressing the ball before and after his tweaks, so that I can see and convince myself of his tweaks. He only did this was because I was insistent that in my address position his tweaks felt and looked all wrong. The two photos proved to me that my perception was wrong.
So true.
I have found talking to some golfers that the opposite of what they think is the problem is true.
If it dosnt feel awkward your not changing anything.