Trackman data - what does it mean?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was more asking what the "optimal" figures would be and how I could improve the ones I had.

'Optimal' varies.

However, the obvious one is to increase Swing Speed.

Does seem you may be coming just a bit too much from the inside though.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Not bad numbers, as others have said you could do with more swing speed.

BTW: The swing plane is the angle of the shaft thru impact. If you raised your hands more it would be 60 degrees and 50 if you lowered them.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So these are my stats with a 6iron averaged over 6 shots only

ATTACK ANG: -3.5 - I believe this means I have hitting down on the ball?

CLUB PATH: 8.7 - This means my swing is "in to out"?

FACE TO PATH: -4.8

CLUB SPEED: 67.6 - "This is fairly slow? This is probably a consequence of my shortish backswing

BALL SPEED: 93.3

LAUNCH ANG: 13.6

SPIN RATE: 3763 - "I assume this is a little on the low side and should ideally be up around the 5000 mark?

SWING PL: 55.9

Anyone tell me what this actually means and what the numbers "should" be and how I can get to those numbers?

http://trackmangolf.com/company/newsletter

Check out some of their newsletters for explanations.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More Weetabix.

You're Colin Hunt aren't you?

colin_hunt2.jpg

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Those numbers look pretty good to me. You:

- are hitting down on the ball and not scooping
- are swinging in to out
- have a slightly closed face at impact to promote a slight draw
- have a good smash factor

You obviously have a slow swing speed, so could try to get that up a bit... no doubt a half swing won't help. To up that swing speed, you may wish to think about developing the ability to play a 3/4 or full swing and that would certainly help.

If you choose to keep your swing as is, then lighter / more flexible shafts would help to increase your launch angle and spin rate (and lighter shafts may assist clubhead speed if you're currently playing a heavier shaft).

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those numbers look pretty good to me. You:

- are hitting down on the ball and not scooping
- are swinging in to out
- have a slightly closed face at impact to promote a slight draw
- have a good smash factor

You obviously have a slow swing speed, so could try to get that up a bit... no doubt a half swing won't help. To up that swing speed, you may wish to think about developing the ability to play a 3/4 or full swing and that would certainly help.

If you choose to keep your swing as is, then lighter / more flexible shafts would help to increase your launch angle and spin rate (and lighter shafts may assist clubhead speed if you're currently playing a heavier shaft).

Cheers Mab, most helpful.

I think I'm more of a 1/2 to 3/4 swing. Trying to get to full is the key, although how I have no idea...

I have been told the shafts I use are already on the light side at around 90g. I tried some graphite shafts and lost all control with my swing path etc (although I didn't really give it much chance). There is something fundamental with my swing that causes me to have a low launch angle as it is the same across all my clubs and it is something I want to increase to try and get more height in the flight of the ball. I *think* it is because I'm sliding my left hip to the left too soon, or pushing with my right side thus effectively delofting the club or perhaps it's just down to my lower swing speed, which is why I can sometimes hit it much further when it all comes together (albeit very rarely...). It's why the custom fitter suggested increasing the lofts, but that felt like a way to cover up the problem rather than treat it.

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson at the weekend and talked about the low flight of my shots and talked about my suspicions of either a low swing speed or sliding my hips too much to the left too soon so he said he'd take a look. After 2 shots he said my left arm seems to be moving away from my left side a little too much before contact, so he got me to hit a few with one hand, half swing, using my right hand to grab my left bicep and keep it locked to my left side until after contact. I then hit one full swing with both hands trying to concentrate on keeping my left arm closer to my left side and... well, it sailed higher than I've ever hit before and the flight looked amazing (well for me at least!). Felt like a massive break through! Feels very weird, so need to practice, but I'm so pleased he seems to have pointed out a potential fault that was affecting the flight of the ball.