TopTracer Everywhere

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
I had it while using the 'virtual golf' and it stated 'Ball Normalised' (or something similar) in the top left, below range map. It was the first time I'd seen it, but this was also my first time at the venue. Not sure if it can be turned on or off, or if it was just for the VG. Certainly hadn't seen it before at Lavender Park TT.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had it while using the 'virtual golf' and it stated 'Ball Normalised' (or something similar) in the top left, below range map. It was the first time I'd seen it, but this was also my first time at the venue. Not sure if it can be turned on or off, or if it was just for the VG. Certainly hadn't seen it before at Lavender Park TT.

I'm up at Lavender Park (assuming you mean Ascot) some point this week (winds dependant) so I'll grab Andy Piper or one of the other teaching pros and ask him where the facility is

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I was at pineridge, Surrey this morning and experienced my first 'ball normaliser' session, (FYI £9.50 for 100 balls) I can't believe the difference it makes, results in me believing it a load of nonsense.
In what way? Were the distances vastly exaggerated?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Sounds like the 'normalizer' is juicing things up way too much there. I'm lucky in that my Toptracer range seems fairly accurate.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
My local range has just been bought by Snayton Golf and they have installed Toptracer in every bay. It's the first time I've ever used it and I personally like it. I think if you understand it's limitations and don't expect too much of it it's fine. At the end of the day it's not Trackman or GCQuad. I think it's transformed the range personally and made it a lot more fun and interesting. It may not be 100% accurate but it does give you some useful information that you can use and interpret.

I love the different games you can play and compete against with you friends on the app. It brings an element of pressure into your practice which we all know can be a crucial factor to learning and getting better. The 'points game' for example requires you to hit different shots to different targets controlling the ball flight to get the best possible score. I think the virtual golf game improves your pitching as you are required to hit a lot of shots at the 40-50 yard range when you get around the green. I've already seen the benefit of that out on the course. The long drive game is a bit of a gimmick but I love the new 'approach' game, again requiring you to hit different clubs at different distances so you're not just hitting the same club all the time.

I've recently bought some new irons and have used the my practice function to do a very crude gapping session with all the data being saved to the app for me to review afterwards. Again I know it's not 100% accurate but it's better than nothing and it's information I either wouldn't have known or it would have taken me a lot longer to figure out without it. I've got a dilemma at the top of my bag for example where I've got 3 iron, 2 iron and a 19 degree hybrid and I'm trying to figure out which ones I should put in. Toptracer has really helped me get a better understanding what each club is doing.

The only thing is the range has now become really busy and at peak times you can be waiting 15-20 minutes for a bay and also the price has gone up a fraction from £7 to £8 for 100 which is no big deal. You can buy a 'membership' card though which is £30 I think and then you get 100 balls for £7 again.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I too love the games - virtual golf and the approach challenge. Also the nearest the pin - we have a screen at my range with the best scores that month. I like to compare myself to the pros - I finished 2nd last month with 1' 6'', with one of the pros getting a HIO :D

The virtual golf courses they have are also impressive - Pebble, Harbour Town, Old Course, etc.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
What’s the new approach challenge?

I usually do practice, 9 hole virtual golf, mostly on a Swedish course, a few long drives, and nearest to the pin to finish off.

And nobody tell me it isn’t accurate, I drove 204 yard for the 1st time last week, including roll.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It gives you 9 holes with approach lengths from 55yds to 160yds. For each foot away you are, you score a point. So the lower your score, the better. I think the best I have managed so far is 110 - I really want to break 100 :D

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
They had that as a 9 hole challenge at the end of last year. I hit a miracle 6 (massive) greens that time which I could never do again. Great that they seem to bring it back. Better than trying to hit that 147 yard hole again and again

Diamond

Visit site
Payed £8 for 100 balls on Sunday. I tried to have shots with every single club and I did ache a bit the next day. I normally pay £3 for 50 so it is a price hike. Saying that I had some good stats on my new 4 hybrid. Furthest I hit it was 180 yards and a ball. Speed of 131mph. My driver is only 136 mph so I am assuming that is decent for a 4 hybrid.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Has anyone seen any restrictions or changes relating to the current virus situation?

Probably most bays are a little under 2M, and I suppose the screens may be considered a risk.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
In Silvermere they had signs there to wash your hands when arriving as well when leaving. And they shortened the hours they are open. They also shortened the store hours.

Personally, I used an old glove yesterday and I was happy to dump it after the session. The screens do work with the glove on. Of course there is a little overlap in the grip ...

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I just dont see how any ranges are 'contact free' at the moment. Screens for Toptracer of course seem like a massive hazard, but I find it hard to believe that the balls getting a quick rinse before they're loaded into machines makes them safe...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In Silvermere they had signs there to wash your hands when arriving as well when leaving. And they shortened the hours they are open. They also shortened the store hours.

Personally, I used an old glove yesterday and I was happy to dump it after the session. The screens do work with the glove on. Of course there is a little overlap in the grip ...
My local range that doesn't have Toptracer seems very much business as usual and very busy but not too many signs around over and above the standard to recommend ashing hands after touching the range balls etc. I haven't been to the one in Ascot with Toptracer but can see how the screens would be a huge risk and so I think I'd rather just hit balls without any additional technology and take my anctibacterial wipes and wash my hands before and after

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fairways In Sneck is reopening this weekend with new bays new balls and top tracer, £9.50 for 90 balls, i think it was about £4 for 50/60 before.

i might go and have a pop one day, depends how busy it looks, with the Kids off from Tomorrow, it could well be rammed for the fisrt few weeks

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I just dont see how any ranges are 'contact free' at the moment. Screens for Toptracer of course seem like a massive hazard, but I find it hard to believe that the balls getting a quick rinse before they're loaded into machines makes them safe...

The range I use has auto tee, so it’s not necessary to touch the balls. I don’t use toptracer, and they have all of the doors propped open. So I can walk in, hit balls and walk out and the only thing I have to touch other than my own property is the screen on the ball machine, for three quick taps. A drop of hand sanitizer sorts that out.