Top Flite Golf Balls

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just bought some top flite golf balls, taking a break from the warbirds as the cash is a bit tight this month.

Anyway, just got home and had a little look on the packaging, it would appear they are made by callaway as thats the complaints address.

Did anyone else know this? why have they got a brand that they disown?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Callaway aren't disowning Top Flite.....it's plastered across the bottom of their website i.i.r.c.

Nothing wrong with them i.m.o. but then again I'll play with anything....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I stand to be corrected by I thought topflite used to owned by acushnet which was part of the titleist family and then went out as an independant manufacturer and then got bought up by callaway

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I know, Callaway own Topflite. Did a review of the Freak ball and found it to be better than Warbirds

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone played with the dimple on dimple topflight balls, They are as good as any ball I have played with. Soft, Long and spin well. Nice feel to them. Wierd to look at though!

matthewsgolf

Club Champion
www.letsgolf.org
TopFlite used to be owned by Spalding. A brand well known for its baseball equipment and other sports too. TopFlite at one point were a premium brand and built of a great name in golf. When Callaway took over they wanted to keep Brand loyal customers.

Pinnancle are owned by acushnet (titleist, footjoy etc) they didnt believe the ball was good enough to be called a titleist so they created a independant name - Pinnacle.

Its a bit like Toyota and Lexus.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I picked up a set of Wilson-Staff Dx2 soft whilst out shopping today.....pretty cheap at £4.25 per sleeve.

I'll see how I do with these before turning to a genuine tour ball.......apparently they got rave a review in TG.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have used one for 9 holes before I stuck it in the drink, Good ball Dave! Look funny though, dunno why!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes...they have a kind of "child of the 70s" look about them.

I can't wait to see how they work with my new milled wedge....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When Callaway wanted to enter the ball market, rather than start from scratch, they bought spalding (who make topflight among others).

Acushnet own titleist and pinnacle. Pinnacle is a brand that is positioned lower in the market then titleist. This doesn't make them bad balls, just aimed at a different market segment. I think a lot of the brand snobs (this seems to be a UK thing, as pinnacles in the states have a good reputation) would be a bit surprised at the latest balls from these brands. They are certainly as good as the mid level titleists. Why wouldn't they be, they are made in the same factory.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Does using expensive to average balls really matter to golfers with a hcp of 5+? I ask because I always buy AD333s and with the stew eating them at a high rate and I played yesterday with a gent who has a hcp of 12 and just uses anything, so does it really matter if you use some cheap top flight ones or even then nike ones from sports world or does spending extra give you more?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I lost a Z-urs and 2 proV1's last night so decided to play with a rock I found.

I hit a 140 shot with an 8 iron to within 6 inches of the pin.

I also hit a 160 par 3 to within 3 ft with the same ball.

I do prefere the softer ball around the greens. But I dont suppose it really matters

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The theory goes that if you use the same ball all the time, then its' performance will be more predictable, and so will you be. Logically, this doesn't matter what ball it is, as long as you only use this one.

However, personnal preference does come into it. I like a soft ball, and something that spins suits my style of play. Obviously, if you play with a less spinny ball, you have to adapt your game to suit, but this may not be a bad thing, just different.

A lot of players use provs because they think they should, where this ball may be too much for a lot of players (both financially, and specification wise).

Each to their own really. I like new balls, as I don't like to look down on something tatty. I also like prov1s or Nike ones, but this is my choice, and not for everyone.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how much difference it makes, may even be a confidence thing. Recently have not paid much for balls, however, as have done a stock up at the beginning of the year with a ball that is being replaced. This year was buying 3 dozen PX3s for £25.00. Will last me the summer and is a great ball at a bargain price. When they run out I will look to see what is next to be changed that I can buy in bulk for as a bargain.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf balls are a personal choice, some players prefer Top Flites others Nike, others Titleist and others Srixon.
I would advise players starting out to try a variety of golf balls and see which one they are more comfortable with.
If that is a Top Flite continue using it.