Tom Lewis turns pro

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How do you think Tom Lewis will get on now that he's turned pro? He clearly has a lot of talent but then again, golf is littered with promising amateurs who never made it as pros. It'll be interesting to see how he plays in the Austrian Open next week. Hopefully he can emulate the likes of Rory and go on to be a highly successful player.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hope he does well, nothing better than watching new amateur talent coming thru on teh big stage then flourishing on the Tour - Rory, Matteo etc.
With Pete Cowan now coaching him and Colin Byrne on his bag, he has some old heads to point him in the right direction

mweston1016

GM Staff Writer
Visit site
I followed him at the Amateur Championship this year and he looked the part. Might be asking a bit too much for him to win his card this year but I'd imagine he'd master Q School first time round should he go that route...

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm never normally like this but I just don't like the lad. I have no sensible reason for this, I just think he's a bit smarmy.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm never normally like this but I just don't like the lad. I have no sensible reason for this, I just think he's a bit smarmy.
Sad comments, if I may say so. Personally, I´m always behind British sportsmen, especially the young and talented.
I hope Tom does well.

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sad comments, if I may say so. Personally, I´m always behind British sportsmen, especially the young and talented.
I hope Tom does well.

Well your exactly right, but I just can't bring myself to like him. Which, like I said, I'm never normally like. It's just him and Andy Murray that I don't like.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Got to be honest, I felt the same way. I can't say I don't like him though as I don't know him. But he did come across as a bit aloof.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This seems all a little unnecessary...

I don't know him, but I have met him a few times and I know his Dad. He's always been very pleasant and personable to everyone I've known who's bumped into him.

Bear in mind that despite the IMG management and Hugo Boss teeshirts he's a pretty normal young lad who is good at golf. I don't suppose that he's particularly comfortable with having to present a media face to all and sundry and is having to get up to speed pretty quickly in a pretty cut throat world. I think it might be fair to give him a bit of a break.

One thing I did notice when I was watching him at the weekend was that even though I saw him play some pretty dodgy shots and the weather was brutal even on good ones, there was no obvious petulance, club banging or any of that sort of nonsense. Surely a good thing.

Regarding his upcoming pro career, he's great tee to green, but the challenge and european tours are all about short games and putting, and it's hard to tell how that'll turn out. Can't imagine the pressure of putting for your dinner, because believe me, he doesn't have Peter Uihlein type resources to fall back on if it all goes pear shaped.

Good luck Tom ! (and the other lads)

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
I wish every aspiring golfer luck. They will need luck and talent and hard work to proceed.
He either has huge potential or a good backer to be working with Pete Cowan and Colin on the bag does not come cheap.
Give the lad a chance, I am sure a lot of people would have said the same about Ian Poulter who has done a lot to endure himself to the masses over time.

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I don't wish him ill. If he was the only Brit challenging for the lead in a comp I'd be behind him all the way, but he'd be bottom of the list in comparison to other Brit golfers.

I'm sure he is a nice lad but in the same way that people don't like Monty having never met him, I'm not fond of Tom Lewis.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Good luck to him - he's going to need it.
Many too many turn Pro and are never heard of again.
I hope Tom's not going to be one of them.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am looking forward to watching him grab his first win - hopefully soon.

However some of the other guys in the Walker cup squad look like strong bets to make it also, I remember reading about a few of them in GM a while back so its good to see the development of these guys - good luck to em all.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He seems to have all the ingredients needed for a successful pro career - obvious skill, mature head, calm personality, good backing - and chances are he will do well, but there have been a number of examples of similar players for whom it just didn't happen.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for him to make a name in the pro ranks, it takes time to learn the ropes and more importantly learn to win. He'll make a million or three no doubt they all do but he's got a long road ahead. Good luck to the boy though I wish it were me.