to lob wedge or not to lob wedge.. that is the question

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so I am debating on whether to go for a 58 degree nike sv/vr wedge or a 56 deg sandwedge to match my irons. Current wedges are 45, 52 & 56 deg (I hate the yonex 56 as it feels & looks too cumbersome)

I liked my 60 deg vokey but only used it for flop shots and tbh it done me a few times so started just using pw or 54 deg for chip and runs to get more consistency

Do we higher cappers really need a 58/60 deg or can we utilise the lower lofted wedges more?

decisions, decisions

one thing for sure is I am not going back to 4 wedges :)

and I promise this is the last post with regards my club changes. The full cavities were flying a treat earlier so cant wait until Sundays medal ;)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
see I knew that would come out, part of me still wants a 60 but I dont want to drop a club at the top end... bloody 14 clubs aint enough ;)

saying that I only primarily use a sw for bunkers as my pw does me for the little bump and runs so maybe 52 & 60 is the answer, ok its a 7 deg and 8 deg gap between the 3 wedges.... jeez I am confuddled now :(

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lobs are so hard to hit consistently but then again the 58+ wedges can also be used to hit low checkers from back in the stance (*ball choice and practice dependant)

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
im the same! my PW is 45 deg, and use vokey 52 deg and mizzy 56 deg, thinking of closing the gap as 7 deg from pw-gw is quite a bit. but not really sure......its hard isnt it!!haha. but to be fair, im quite happy, so will probably just stick with what i have. dont have the money to buy anything anyway.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
unfortunately I spend more timne worrying about whats in the bag than using it! my 46/54/60 worked ok but too often I was between clubs with the 90-100yd shots hence wanting a gap wedge.

Also a right good deal on direct golf for the cleveland cg16, buy 2 get a 60 free so £140 all in for 52/56/60

argggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, must decide :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Find out what your PW loft is.
Get yourself a 58 Deg and one more in the middle.
So if your PW is 46, and the SW is 58, the wedge in the middle will be a 52.
Then you can keep your 18 rescue.
:)

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Find out what your PW loft is.
Get yourself a 58 Deg and one more in the middle.
So if your PW is 46, and the SW is 58, the wedge in the middle will be a 52.
Then you can keep your 18 rescue.
:)

That's what i did. PW (not sure of loft!), 52 and 58, job done, no messing around. 12 degree bounce on the 58, 8 degree on the 52, and there's not a shot from 100 yards in where i'm not covered. We definitely complicate things for ourselves too much these days

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a PW, 52 and a 58. The 58 works perfectly well out of bunkers, I can open it up if I need loft and its ideal around the green if I need to go over a bunker or mound. However I try and use whatever is necessary to get the ball onto the putting surface and running as its the easiest shot to implement and has less risk. I would never contemplate a LW for that and to be honest don't advocate a 58 either

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
52 and 58 sounds OK.

But tbh, how much should a high handicapper be using a 58 degree wedge outside of the sand ?? I played with a guy recently in the high twenties. He was duffing chips with his high lofted wedge from around the green where I (a mere 13) was using a putter. Funny how many fewer shots I took.....

I know that there's all sorts of reasons why someone might be playing off twenty something, but for me, high loft = high tarriff.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just bought a couple of vokeys (52/60) because I've found that I wasn't getting the check/spin on the greens to control my shots. I'll mainly use the 60 for those shots over hazards with very little green to work with and bunker shots out of hard sand. The 52 is for the longer shots when a 3/4 PW just doesn't get the control. Around the green I tend to use less loft and try and run the ball more as I think it's more consistent anyway.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've seen more "cock ups" around the green by people using a high lofted lob wedge than I have seen great shots. Either flopped up too high and they go in the trap they were hoping to get over in the first place, or bladed out through the back of the green putting them in an even worse position.....
Maybe I've been playing with the wrong people.
:D

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Over the summer I do carry either a 60 or a 58.

The thing is there will always be times when you need to get the ball up quickly, say to get over a greenside bunker. I find it easier to play that shot with a low bounce 58 or 60 degree wedge than to open up a higher bounce sand wedge, especially off a bare lie. It's a tough shot whatever. As always though the answer isn't in the clubs you carry it's about practising the shot.

I wouldn't use a lob wedge for simple chips although Phil M and Tiger seem to use their 60 degree wedges for anything round the green.

Finally I sometimes blade my 7 iron :eek: but I wouldn't leave it out of the bag just because of that.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We buy a lob wedge to hit the ball high to get over stuff. Bunkers, trees, ponds etc.
The problem is, to do this, you need to hit it quite hard or it wont go anywhere.

As most shots with the lob wedge are played from quite close in to the green a high degree of accuracy is required to prevent the fluff or the thin.
Im sure most of us at some time have hit the thin that screams accross the green about 2 feet off the ground and scares the guys on the next tee.

The easier, safer shot is the simple swing with the GW or SW.
I know people say we dont have time to practice but as with anything in this world, if you want to be good at something you have to practice it.

I'm rubbish at typing.
I know, I'll buy a new keyboard. :rolleyes:

Learn how to hit your wedges first, then when you get good at it, try a LW if you must.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Lobs are so hard to hit consistently but then again the 58+ wedges can also be used to hit low checkers from back in the stance (*ball choice and practice dependant)

That's what I use my 58 degree wedge for, as well as bunkers and lob shots. The only time I seem to use my 52 wedge is for a full shot, or a long bunker shot.