To join or not to join!?

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So I've been looking to join a club for while now and after a few weeks of research I found a club that I can join for £70 which gives me a handicap, access to comps and a discount on each green fee. I've been playing since I was 8 or 9 (now 25) and fancy trying the competitive side to golf, getting into comps, working to get a handicap down etc.

Here's my problem though, I work an hour away from home so golf during the week is a no, but I can still manage to fit in a basket of 50 balls at the range. I also have a few regular playing partners who mainly play golf for fun (not members) or who live away from where I am and so are members at clubs closer to them. Now, I don't want to miss out on the social side of golf with these guys. I enjoy playing new courses with them and having the odd 'away day', where we spend the whole day out on the course (warm up on the range, golf, followed by dinner somewhere). I also don't necessarily get to play golf each week with various other things that crop up and the gym etc.

So having given you my background, what do you guys think I should do!? Look forward to hearing the comments/advice...

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can't think of a reason not to join. Cheap, competitive golf, and you get handicap to boot! Sign on the dotted line!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You guys are a convincing bunch!

I'll have a little think about it again tonight but as you all say, it's £70 and if it doesn't work out then at least it's not £700 I've spent on a full membership and I'll get discounts on my rounds anyway.

My regular playing partner has also strained some ligaments and so has been told to rest up for a few weeks and so he will probably be just confined to the range I would think until he rests up!