Titleist AP1 Irons - Anyone tried them

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

My 1st post, please be nice :D

As a background i restarted golf 4 mths ago after a 3 year lay off due to a serious injury. Used to play off 9 but due to the severity of the injury was allowed to put 3 cards in and was given a 21 H,cap. Handicap now 17 and falling steadily so i am looking at new irons. Currently using a set of Hawkeye VFT.

I am quite smitten by the Titleist AP1 with the True Temper DG HL steel reg shaft. I have hit them on the range, they do feel and go great, but we all know that the range and the course are 2 different things.

Anyone got a set, or have any experience of them in the real world.

regards

Edgey

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry edgey, I can't offer any advice on the clubs but thought I would offer a warm welcome to the forum. I am sure some of the knowledgable guys and girls on here will be able to help you.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have the AP2's and did swing the ap1's while I was in looking though i would never have bought the ap1s as the heads are a fair bit larger and more cavity backed than the ap2's, my advice is if you can get a good price on them you will be fine.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly look the part and are the more forgiving of the 2. Cant comment though as have not used them.

Welcome to the forum!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mate of mine has them and they seem a pretty good club. He's off 24 and they seem to be working well enough. I tried them and they were a tad heavy for me but did sit very well behind the ball.

At least you've tried them on a range so can see the ball flight etc. My advice would be if they are your club of choice (presume you have tried others like G10, X20 etc) to go to your local pro and see if he can get them at a good deal. If not try the big retailers (AG etc) and see if you can haggle a deal (maybe a trade in) and failing that try online.

However you get them, good luck with the new sticks and welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing how ou get on with them

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cant help with advice on the AP1's but just to say welcome to the forum-enjoy the banter and great to hear a man back on the course after a long lay off.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i have a 2 iron and its a pretty good club larger head than my 695cb which helps, defo worth buying they are more compact than callaways etc which makes them sit nice behind the ball

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

Just as a quick update i have purchased a set of AP1's. Got them from AG for £390 4 - PW c/w TT HL Steel shafts.

Played 1st round yesterday and and shot an 82 (10 over) so very pleased. They feel like forged clubs and have a very nice high flight that i prefer. Early days i know but so far its a big thumbs up.

Edgey