Tips for new golfers - from golfers

Anoetic

Visit site
The advice I was given almost 40 years ago still holds true….if you are a genuine beginner don’t try and learn on a golf course…golf is hard and trying to get a ball in a small hole difficult…just concentrate on trying to hit the ball….find a field and play between trees…use the bottom of the tree as the hole…..the better you get the further apart the trees can get……

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Buy second hand gear, for the first couple of years it's a learning curve, don't waste hundreds of pounds on what may be totally unsuitable for you
Practice a lot, whether that's playing a lot, or hitting balls in a field, golf is hard, it takes time
If you can afford it, take lessons, do it early, before bad habits set in
Practice a lot

D

Deleted member 1147

Best piece of advice I got (from a pro) was don't worry if you hit a bad shot. You are a high handicapper, it's normal. However if you hit the same bad shot 4 or 5 times in a row, you are doing something wrong.

I used to fixate on my one or two bad shots rather than the good ones, didn't do me any good.

Also, try to visualise the best outcome when you are getting ready to take a shot. If you think you are going to hit a bad shot, you generally do. Think positive.

I saw one Pro who asked me to list my 3 best shots after each round, and take to him to read at the next lesson.
Made you look back more fondly, as you'd almost start arguing with yourself about whether the drive on one hole was better than this approach or that chip etc. by the end you'd realise you'd actually played ok for the most part.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is a good one. People sometimes remark that I am very quick over the ball. I usually just say that's all the time it takes to think about the shot I want to hit. People who stand over the ball for ages are generally thinking about all the bad shots they don't want to hit, I think.
I think that you think right. Positive visualisation of shot; address ball and without undue - or indeed any - delay, just hit it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My 3 best shots each round are always the same - in a way.
The 3 longest putts that I holed.

The 3 worst shots - now that can vary a great deal - maybe a putt or two in there as well.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
If you dont enjoy it dont do it.

The enjoyment doesnt go up as you improve, you just get frustrated and dissapointed at new things.

Nobody is watching or pointing at you, everyone is much, much, much more interested in their own game, swing, equipment etc than they are yours.

Prepare to be heavily and regularly patronised.

As with any group of men, expect your fair share of egos, bullies, cheats and idiots mixed in with the new friends you'll meet. I assume this is applicable to women too, but i wouldnt have much experience....

Enjoy!!