Time to make grip changes ( Vardon to Baseball )

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Since i started playing a few years back i have never felt happy with my vardon grip, recently tried the interlock but i am looking at trying the baseball grip as a method of keeping my right hand under control to lose the hook

I dont think i have ever tried to hit a ball with the baseball grip after reading its for juniors, seniors etc

I am neither, middle aged but small hands so i am going to experiment

Who on here use the baseball grip ? ( i know its not popular )

My left hand has always been ok only my right hand seems to struggle to stay in place

My right hand V'S point past my right shoulder and seems to be worse in the summer when hands are sweaty and maybe its moving on the backswing, left hand is fine.

I have never worn a glove either as this always seemed to make the right hand restricted even more !

I will let you know the outcome !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i use it on everything but the driver. i have a double jointed thumbs which think plays havoc with getting my grip correct.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
personally, on the basis of what you have posted, I would have thought that a glove and an interlocking grip would be the appropriate combination.

my reasons are -
1. the interlocking grip inherently weakens the right hand's ability to try and muscle in on the swing
2. a (good) glove provides an additional layer of confidence to enable you to rela your grip with the left hand, and still feel the club won't go flying. This in turn enables the right to relaxx as well. Taken together the hands (and more) have a chance to work properly and there is no reason for the right hand to feel it needs to 'do more'

If your need to make a change to your grip (do get a pro to check this out it's so, so important) then all the above should enable you to feel sufficently confident to make necessary changes.

S

Snelly

I have never met a Cat 1 golfer with a baseball grip and don't know of any pros that use one although I am sure someone can tell me a few!

This tells you all you need to know about the golf grip. It needs to interlock. Practice makes perfect.

T

thecraw

I have never met a Cat 1 golfer with a baseball grip and don't know of any pros that use one although I am sure someone can tell me a few!

This tells you all you need to know about the golf grip. It needs to interlock. Practice makes perfect.

Ronan Rafferty is a baseball gripper.

I am a baseball gripper, cat 2 now but up and down between 1&2 like a whores knickers! My advice is grip how you feel natural, there is no right or wrong way how to grip a club.

S

Snelly

Ronan Rafferty is a baseball gripper.

I am a baseball gripper, cat 2 now but up and down between 1&2 like a whores knickers! My advice is grip how you feel natural, there is no right or wrong way how to grip a club.

I would say that you and Ronan are the exceptions that prove the rule.

T

thecraw

I would say that you and Ronan are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Moe Norman.

Bob Estes.

I believe that even Jack is on record saying that the baseball grip is fine!

Baseball is viewed as a "choppers" grip but it works for this chopper!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
alot of people interlock their fingers when they start golfing as they see it as "the done thing".

give a child a golf club and he wont know to interlock his fingers. he will just hold it what ever way it feels comfortable. let him play for a few years like that and he wont want to change to varden.

S

Snelly

I can't get on with an interlocking grip mtyself either. I am an overlap chap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But please, for the sanity of future playing companions, please do not go left hand below right. It can work (well) - but boy does it look wonky :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

but i am looking at trying the baseball grip as a method of keeping my right hand under control to lose the hook

A baseball grip is MORE likely to lead to an overactive right hand than any other grip, if your destructive shot is a hook I would avoid moving to this grip. Interlocking or Vardon are better options for you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing really wrong with Baseball, though if there's a tendency for the hands to work independently/separately, this grip will not help! Easy for the right hand, in particular, to become dominant. Quite likely to provide greatest distance. I used this grip for several years (got down to 12 with it). Took 3 days to get used to Varden. Have never been able to use interlock - except for putting. Never felt able to hit hard enough and always felt I would break my little finger!