Tiger and Charlie Woods - what golfing genes have you had the benefit of from your parents?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My dad gave me my competitive spirit and I always go out to play to win, whatever the sport and in the case of golf try and shoot a personal best each round. His ethic was lose with good grace and win with humility.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My daughter is 5th generation of a golfing family that has produced many fine players.
On a visit home and sitting with my dad's cronies in the pub over a game of doms they were discussing this subject after hearing the news that my daughter had gained her first England girls cap.
One of the old boys sat back and said that what he found strange was that sometimes that skill seems to bypass a generation.
They were a hard school that lot.:love:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My old man was a top county level darts player back in the day. So I suppose my extremely good hand eye coordination has come from him.

He has no interest in golf, or anything else I have. Although I'm told my grandad played golf, but not to any great standard. Apparently he did take me to play a couple of times but I don't remember.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Parents? Nowt. One grandad was a keen golfer. The other a farmer. Maybe that's why I can turn a fairway into a plowed field. LOL

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Both of my parents were natural players at what ever sports they turned their hand to.
I view this as a negative. If they hadn't been so talented, they might have seen the point in lessons, and getting the basics sorted. No, you can either play, or you can't. It's left me as being bang average, and not really taking advantage of any heritage going.

Just my view, as the one sport I was properly coached in, I was properly good at.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad taught me how to play footy with both feet.
But City folk didn’t play golf when he was a lad.
He was a class footballer and played until his early 50s.
As far as I can tell I am the first in the family to play golf.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My dad taught me how to play footy with both feet.
But City folk didn’t play golf when he was a lad.
He was a class footballer and played until his early 50s.
As far as I can tell I am the first in the family to play golf.

I taught my grandson to play with both feet when he was about 6, we used to walk up and down the pitch passing to each other right foot one way left foot other way. Simple little drill.
He loved that and at boys level he was the only true two footed player in his squad.
He has since taught his wee sister to use both feet and she is starting to make a name for herself as a tichy goal scorer.
My dad was ambidextrous he golfed and wrote righthanded and shot and ate lefthanded.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I taught my grandson to play with both feet when he was about 6, we used to walk up and down the pitch passing to each other right foot one way left foot other way. Simple little drill.
He loved that and at boys level he was the only true two footed player in his squad.
He has since taught his wee sister to use both feet and she is starting to make a name for herself as a tichy goal scorer.
My dad was ambidextrous he golfed and wrote righthanded and shot and ate lefthanded.
I used the side wall.
He made me play right to left foot then left to right.
I spent hours there .
Happy days.
Tried it with my grandson , and I have lost it!!!;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
None - my Dad had a mixed bag of 30s/40s era golf clubs - but that was about it.

He never really played and only started up to accompany me on the golf course when as a kid I started playing and I fancied playing when on holiday. But - as he would say- he didn't really play golf - he played at golf :)

My mum knew her local golf course - but the game was for the townies (of Dunkeld) and those who 'are' - and not for a gamekeeper's daughter. Though the fact that she knew the farmer who owned the land beside the golf course meant we could camp in one of their fields and I could jump over the fence and play :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I used the side wall.
He made me play right to left foot then left to right.
I spent hours there .
Happy days.
Tried it with my grandson , and I have lost it!!!;)
My dad did this when I was a youngster to teach me to dive left and right when I said I wanted to be a keeper. He'd ping then left and right and teach me to dive properly and as I got older to react when he started to vary it up.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My dad was quite a keen and useful footballer but I was hopeless.

Every day after the sports lesson at school he'd ask me if I'd scored, and every time I had to tell him no.

Then one day all the duffers were shifted off to play a little game on our own, and I scored!
But by then he'd given up asking and I didn't feel I could tell him.