Tiger and Charlie Woods - what golfing genes have you had the benefit of from your parents?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
It's some line-up at the PNC Championship and all eyes will be on these two - the main benefit I've enjoyed from my late dad
is the inability to play any chip shot with loft and a low-lying Tennis Elbow..

If somehow you haven't seen this then, even with all the hype, this is pretty ridiculous

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My dad was an all rounder, good hand eye co-ordination, could take up any sport and be decent at it very quickly. I am the same, as is my son.

Sadly, my dad didn't play golf so I have no idea if he was the same as me in finding golf as the exception to the rule :oops:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The desire to win.

I look back at my Dad and smile.
My father was sports obsessed when it came to watching sports and he would watch golf without really knowing anything about it and long before I took up the game I remember him saying " look at that silly B he taken a big chunk out of the ground after hitting the ball"

He was good footballer in his day (semi pro) but I think my brother inherited that gene.

Last edited:

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
The ability to get cross with myself whenever I hit a poor shot. My dad was a single figer player in his day, so was entitled to expect a decent shot from himself. Me on the other hand....

D

Deleted member 15344

My dad was a very good cricketer and Prob would have played County - whenever he played golf he did well and suspect could have been a good player.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Nothing from my dad as far as I can tell, certainly nothing that would help me at golf anyway! His "sport" was always bowls which he was very good at so maybe there is a bit of hand eye in there.

My mum was apparently a very good sportswoman in her youth but 4 kids by 25 put paid to that pretty early on. Maybe I inherited her sporting genes as both my half brother and I (same mum, different dads) are more natural sportsmen and pick up most sports pretty easily without ever being excellent in any.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, has ridiculous sporting genetics. Her dad and uncle were pro footballers, her dad now plays off scratch. Her brother is nearly as good as him at both as well and is a fitness fanatic. Even her grandmother was a far better golfer than I'll ever be!

Hopefully the 14 week old bump thats currently growing will inherit her sporting genetics with my natural size. Then we could have a serious athlete on our hands!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Nowt from my parents, for anything really, they never ever supported myself or my brother in anything we did. On the other hand, both my lads play golf, and my youngest is pretty damn good and heading down a career in golf path. It's an absolute pleasure just being able to head out on the course with either of them, knowing that something good has been passed on.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Given the way I play at times, it would seem quite clear neither of my parents would have known one end of a gap wedge from the other.

I do, however, appear to have inherited my mum’s short temper.......

D

Deleted member 1147

Just naturally good at sports, like both my folks.
Dad played football, Mum played tennis. But both could turn their hand to most sports, like I can.
my Great Uncle was single figure back in the 60’s & 70’s.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's some line-up at the PNC Championship and all eyes will be on these two - the main benefit I've enjoyed from my late dad
is the inability to play any chip shot with loft and a low-lying Tennis Elbow..

If somehow you haven't seen this then, even with all the hype, this is pretty ridiculous

Haha, the swing was a bit shorter and slower but when they both did the tandem club drop and step back, that was hilarious.

I started playing with my dad when I was young, but I don't think I've learned anything from him. His swing is totally different to mine. I have certainly forged my own way since I only started playing more regularly about five years ago, and my dad only plays a handful of times a year. My dad is/was not great at any sports, but he still always played them with me, probably largely because I had no brothers or sisters. So I'd give him a pasting at tennis, or kick a football around with him or whatever.

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
No real sporting prowess in my family at all. And still none some would say! However a glance down the handicap list at our club suggests that ability does indeed " run in the family" as there are several instances where family groups are all above average i.e. low handicappers.