Thoughts on One Length

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Moved from Srixon 545’s to F7’s one length and found that my left/right dispersion has improved significantly, distance was not hugely different although the GW goes up to the moon and back!

Long irons ball flight is lower than my old clubs but you get used to it and I prefer the longer shaft in 8/9/PW

Not the most aesthetically pleasing clubs but for me they have worked well.

Still getting used to the hybrid so may look at swapping this out for a 3/4 utility in one length

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I demo'd a set for a short while but worried that the transition back to normal clubs may be more difficult , should on the rare chance that I might change my irons

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I like hitting my 7 iron best. The 6 is a little harder but OK. The 4 and 5 are difficult to get much beyond the 6. Is there much involved in having the 4 and 5 shortened?
Just a thought, which may recur if a session with one length clubs materialises 😀

robbeh32

Visit site
I use 22 degree f8 hybrid one length and love it, will be getting 19 degree soon, not sure I would use irons though, 7 iron length pw seems odd, but I would be happy to try it.

Visit site
I made a set of Wishon SLCs for a 3 hc about 14 months ago. After seeing and reading about the concept and being a sweeper of the golf ball due to his back issues, he's gone from 3.4 to 1.9. He said its made it more simpler with the concept and his accuracy has become greater as I've seen it first hand. He's gained yardage with his PW which he's pleased about he's not a long hitter, but lost none with the other clubs and plays a lot of knock down shots with the 9 and PW. I tried his 5i out and I found it went the same distance as my 5i.

I personally think ladies and juniors would benefit from SLCs.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a set but I don't use them anymore so I've stuck them on Ebay. If you're a consistent ball striker they are great, easy to hit and long, the problem I had is with poor hits the distance loss was just too much specially with the longer irons.
I've hit some of my best ever 4 and 5 iron shots with them, but at the same time the gapping was awful when you don't pure them.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
How do distances between one length irons and normal ones work ?

If the 7 irons are the same length then I assume no difference in distance if lofts are the same, but wouldn't the longer irons have smaller gaps in length, and the shorter irons longer ones ? perhaps the longer irons have lower lofts, and shorter ones greater lofts, or do shaft lengths not affect distance. Totally :unsure:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How do distances between one length irons and normal ones work ?

If the 7 irons are the same length then I assume no difference in distance if lofts are the same, but wouldn't the longer irons have smaller gaps in length, and the shorter irons longer ones ? perhaps the longer irons have lower lofts, and shorter ones greater lofts, or do shaft lengths not affect distance. Totally :unsure:

Different cor of the clubs allows for this, its about 15 degrees where the cor is limited to .83 (now termed characteristic time as the measurement method travels easier).

Basically its hot faces on longer irons

Edit in conjuction with loft changes if this wasnt clear

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use 22 degree f8 hybrid one length and love it, will be getting 19 degree soon, not sure I would use irons though, 7 iron length pw seems odd, but I would be happy to try it.
How does that work with the bag then? Your hybrid is shorter than your longest iron??

robbeh32

Visit site
My longest iron is a 5 iron which is 21.5 degrees loft. Goes like the same distance if I strike it well and thats a massive if.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I made a set of Wishon SLCs for a 3 hc about 14 months ago. After seeing and reading about the concept and being a sweeper of the golf ball due to his back issues, he's gone from 3.4 to 1.9. He said its made it more simpler with the concept and his accuracy has become greater as I've seen it first hand. He's gained yardage with his PW which he's pleased about he's not a long hitter, but lost none with the other clubs and plays a lot of knock down shots with the 9 and PW. I tried his 5i out and I found it went the same distance as my 5i.

I personally think ladies and juniors would benefit from SLCs.

out of interest why would 1 length benefit a lady in your opinion?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My longest iron is a 5 iron which is 21.5 degrees loft. Goes like the same distance if I strike it well and thats a massive if.
Sorry, I meant 'longest' as in the physical length of the club. :LOL: If your hybrid is a 'one length' one it must be around the length of a 7 iron? So your 5 & 6 iron are presumably longer than that?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a final thought on this from me and it really does show how bored I am at work lol.
I don’t think the phrase “one swing for each club” is really the right description, it’s more “one ball position for each club”. Obviously this should create the same swing but the main principle is ball in 7 iron position every time. I still would love a half and half set though, 4-7 one length, 8 upwards regular length, I think that would be a real winner. Hitting wedges etc with massive shafts does feel very weird and caused a lot of fat shots.

robbeh32

Visit site
Sorry, I meant 'longest' as in the physical length of the club. :LOL: If your hybrid is a 'one length' one it must be around the length of a 7 iron? So your 5 & 6 iron are presumably longer than that?

Ah yes. Well you just treat it like a 7 iron basically its as simple as that so you just adjust ball position for a 7 iron shot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a final thought on this from me and it really does show how bored I am at work lol.
I don’t think the phrase “one swing for each club” is really the right description, it’s more “one ball position for each club”. Obviously this should create the same swing but the main principle is ball in 7 iron position every time. I still would love a half and half set though, 4-7 one length, 8 upwards regular length, I think that would be a real winner. Hitting wedges etc with massive shafts does feel very weird and caused a lot of fat shots.
That's exactly my view, hitting a shorter 5 & 6 iron sounds great, hitting a really long PW sounds awful. But I don't think I've heard of one person setting up that way, so there must be a reason it doesn't work.

Ah yes. Well you just treat it like a 7 iron basically its as simple as that so you just adjust ball position for a 7 iron shot.
I get that, it just seemed weird to me to then have an iron which is longer than your hybrid, I thought you would want consistency all the way down, that's all.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Want to try them but the nearest club that stocks them is a 40 min drive, and without buying them I feel it would be just a wasted journey just to try it. Might pop into an AG to see if I can test them.

robbeh32

Visit site
That's exactly my view, hitting a shorter 5 & 6 iron sounds great, hitting a really long PW sounds awful. But I don't think I've heard of one person setting up that way, so there must be a reason it doesn't work.

I get that, it just seemed weird to me to then have an iron which is longer than your hybrid, I thought you would want consistency all the way down, that's all.

I think thats the problem anyway. There is never consistency. Because you Hit you longest club of the tee (driver) and you next shot could be PW, so each shot is very different club lengths all the time so you're constantly adjusting. So its no different.