This is gonna hurt...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I mentioned on the chipping thread I have a dedicated club I carry for playing off stony ground, rocky/gravely lies etc because I wont risk damage to one of my regular clubs (and an unplayable isn't really warranted because the shot is there to fairly easily recover or advance the ball without further penalty)

The sole is covered in battle scars and because it was a cheap club I'm fine with it getting knocked about. It might sit in the bag for a few rounds totally unused but come the time I need it I'm glad its there

What do you choose to do on this type of poor lie and if choosing to play it then what club do you use?

Do you carry a club for this or never find yourself in any area with stones etc or just use one of your normal clubs and to-hang with the scores/scrapes that'll result

(I get that wear and tear will happen to all the club-heads with finer scratches due to grit etc in the soil, so not thinking my clubs will stay in showroom condition for ever, but that's not what I'm referring to here)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I mentioned on the chipping thread I have a dedicated club I carry for playing off stony ground, rocky/gravely lies etc because I wont risk damage to one of my regular clubs (and an unplayable isn't really warranted because the shot is there to fairly easily recover or advance the ball without further penalty)

The sole is covered in battle scars and because it was a cheap club I'm fine with it getting knocked about. It might sit in the bag for a few rounds totally unused but come the time I need it I'm glad its there

What do you choose to do on this type of poor lie and if choosing to play it then what club do you use?

Do you carry a club for this or never find yourself in any area with stones etc or just use one of your normal clubs and to-hang with the scores/scrapes that'll result

(I get that wear and tear will happen to all the club-heads with finer scratches due to grit etc in the soil, so not thinking my clubs will stay in showroom condition for ever, but that's not what I'm referring to here)

My irons are 15 years old now so are battle scarred anyway, so don't really mind to be honest. Trying to preserve their looks at this point is locking the stable door after the horse has bolted

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really an issue on most U.K. courses.

When playing courses that have this issue I just drop as I don't play them often enough to warrant a club for it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think anywhere I play has areas of stones you could land in, besides the paths where you get a free drop anyway. Even if there was I wouldn't be too worried, my irons aren't exactly top of the range. If they get scratched they get scratched - not too bothered what they look like as long as I can still hit with them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not really an issue on most U.K. courses.

When playing courses that have this issue I just drop as I don't play them often enough to warrant a club for it.

Yeah I never thought before but I suppose this is a volcanic island so there's always plenty areas not far offline with all sizes of stones/gravel waiting to add a score onto the sole and all the courses bar one are pretty new so its not as if they stones have had much time to get moved/sink etc

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My bag at the moment has no 4 or 5 iron but 2xtip 9 irons so glad I'm not the only one. Always use the old one in bunkers full of stones or from paths when a drop option is not a good drop.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Most bad spots are marked as GUR on our course. But if I really do end up on a rock or root or something like that, I don't much bother about my clubs, since they are old and I got them cheap on ebay. (I might bother about my wrists a bit, though, and rather go for a penalty drop regardless).

There was a really hilarious scene in a Rick Shiels and Peter Finch course vlog once, where Pete landed on a paved path, but could not take relief, because it was close to a hedge or something, so he sneeked one of Ricks wedges out of his bag (Rick had just gotten brand new Ben Hogan clubs he was very very fond of at the time) and pretended he wanted to hit the shot with it. Rick tried to wrestle the club away from him and it fell onto the path ... it was a scene straight out of the Muppets Show. Priceless.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have to say it is very rare that I land in an area like this, but have had tree roots etc beneath. I normally just take a club and hit it thin to get it off. Don't want to damage my clubs or damage myself in the process. There was this one time when I was playing at Ardglass and ended up in some rocks (should not have been anywhere near here..). my ball was sitting (on grass) between two rocks which had less than a foot between them, and they stuck up. Was sort of like a channel. For some reason I decided to play the shot and magically I missed the rocks and got the ball out without damaging anything. I have to say I would not do that again...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mainly comes at our course when you are on a tractor path with a limestone chippings or gravel surface. If I really do not like the area in which I would have to drop the ball I normally just nip the ball of the top of the path using my normal clubs.

I do not mind if I slightly damage the sole as long as I do not damage the face.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My bag at the moment has no 4 or 5 iron but 2xtip 9 irons so glad I'm not the only one. Always use the old one in bunkers full of stones or from paths when a drop option is not a good drop.

Does your club not have a LR which allows you to remove the stones in bunkers before hitting the shot?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
get some Ping clubs they will be fine on rocks and stuff like that, in fact id imagine you would do more damage to the rocks with those ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Either blade it, or hit a 5 wood. That said my sw has a big groove in the sole from a bunker at Batchworth, so i might use that.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have an old gap wedge for exactly this. Anytime I think I may ruin/damage a club I use it.

Helps me because I don't care if it breaks so generally can focus on the shot. If I was using my new irons I would be worrying too much

Unfortunately my old gap friend gets way more use than I would like

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think anywhere I play has areas of stones you could land in, besides the paths where you get a free drop anyway. Even if there was I wouldn't be too worried, my irons aren't exactly top of the range. If they get scratched they get scratched - not too bothered what they look like as long as I can still hit with them.

If your playing in a comp don't forget to check the local rule(s) :thup:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the sake of a shot, rather than wreck an expensive iron, I'm dropping

This all day long.....There are too many threads that I agree exactly with your responses that I choose not to respond anymore...sorry

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I carry a scabby ole sand-wedge for bunkers as I flat refuse to shove my decent one through a pit full of scabby sand, it'll also suffice should I ever come across a situation such as yours... :thup: