Thinned chips

Dannyc

Visit site
My bad shot around the green is a thin I never duff one heavy I’ve read that high bounce is the most forgiving but is that to stop u digging in the ground?
Basically can anyone advise what bounce will give most help to a thin shot
I’m pretty certain my low point is way behind the ball
Thanks

Jason.H

Visit site
Hi yes thin or heavy shots around the green are a nightmare. I wouldn’t get hung up on the bounce. Its more a case of finding a good technique that works and practice it to get it ingrained. I did see one of Danny Maudes coaching videos on Facebook the other day which covered exactly what you’re looking for.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm guessing you flip your wrists, meaning the club gets low early and on way up as it blades the back of the ball?

The easiest way to chip, I find, it:

• put ball in back of stance (quite far back if you need to)
  • open stance
  • swing club (I almost always use a wedge) like a putt, no wrists.
This means that the club will hit the ball first, on a downward path. The loft of the club then sends it into the air. Once you get used to it, you can start to feel confidence in your strike, just as you would a putt.

Personally, I start to lose consistency of strike as I move towards pitch shots, and the wrists start coming into the equation. However, chipping was my biggest strength. I miss a lot of greens, so I get a lot of practice. But I usually have 25-28 putts a round, I think my lowest I recorded was 21.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your problem sounds like a low takeaway and a high finish. You need the opposite.

Feet close together, ball in the centre of the feet or a touch back, weight forward a little, down on the grip and try and hit the ball under the shaft. If you get it right, the ball will go over the shaft so a high takeaway and a low finish

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing you flip your wrists, meaning the club gets low early and on way up as it blades the back of the ball?

The easiest way to chip, I find, it:

• put ball in back of stance (quite far back if you need to)
  • open stance
  • swing club (I almost always use a wedge) like a putt, no wrists.
This means that the club will hit the ball first, on a downward path. The loft of the club then sends it into the air. Once you get used to it, you can start to feel confidence in your strike, just as you would a putt.
I played in a pro am a few years ago with a smashing teaching pro. He gave all in the group a series of mini clinics, one of which was chipping. He told us to keep a strong V in the arms and hands when chipping. It is what you are saying, but with a visual thought to keep your form. I have used that thought since and it really is very effective.

The other point he made, as you make slightly differently but is the same, is don't force the ball in the air. The loft of the club will lift the ball, don't force an assist. Just make a clean strike, that should be the focus.

Keep to the above and thins will be a thing of the past.

Dannyc

Visit site
Thanks for the reply’s lads yes it’s frustrating and has resulted in my handicap doubling over the last couple of years ??

Dannyc

Visit site
Your problem sounds like a low takeaway and a high finish. You need the opposite.

Feet close together, ball in the centre of the feet or a touch back, weight forward a little, down on the grip and try and hit the ball under the shaft. If you get it right, the ball will go over the shaft so a high takeaway and a low finish

This seems like it as I know I’m hitting the floor early and prob striking on way up
Just been in the garden with what felt like a high and out takeaway as the club gets behind me aswell and chipped it lovely last time I was out there I thought I was going need buy a new fence panel
Need get up course and practice

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Thanks Bob (y)